X-Ref's to one single file

Casio47

Hello...

I have an X-Ref'd file. How do I take 2 or 3 individual X-Refs, and combine them to one single file.

Thanks

Hello...

I have an X-Ref'd file. How do I take 2 or 3 individual X-Refs, and combine them to one single file.Thanks

Open one or more of them at the same time along with a new empty drawing, copy with base point from one at a time, paste them to the new empty drawing. (Copy the entire portion you need all at one time from each) Use any base point that will solve your alignment for you.

Before you do this, it would be advisable to -purge, and Audit the pre-copy drawings first, to clean them up and make them as light as possible file size wise. That will help in manipulating two or three drawings at one time.

If this mod is inserted in any existing drawings, you will have to get rid of the original xref mapping, of course.

You can also "bind" the XRefs into your drawing. Right-Click the XRef in the reference-manager and select "Bind".
This will put the xrefs into the Main Drawing, which is not really what the OP is after. In my experience and opinion one should never bind xrefs unless there is a reason you have to ship the drawing out to someone else, and cannot send the separate files. This is usually counterproductive. The whole point of xrefs is so one doesn't have to create these huge cumbersome nearly impossible to edit files, and maybe unstable drawings while ruining the global edit capability to the xref'ed files.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see a reason for doing this. Would you mid explaining why you have the need for this? Obviously it's your drawing and you can do what you like with it but I am curious.