Boy do I need some help--file is causing AutoCAD to crash

JonathanEngr

It is the perfect storm of problems, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. I was working on an AutoCAD file that was acting flaky. I couldn't turn off layers in a specific viewport, so I went into model space and turned the layers off there. No biggie... in model space all looked as it should. However, in paper space, the layers that were "turned off" (water lines of different colors denoting different sizes) still showed up as black lines. I tried to regen, undo and redo, etc., to no effect. So I saved the file, exited AutoCAD, and then opened AutoCAD and tried to open the file. At 24% loading every single time is caused AutoCAD to crash. Oddly enough, however, no "send error report" popped up.

I then tried rebooting my PC. Same thing. I tried file recovery, and it still caused AutoCAD to crash. I sent the file to a friend of mine and he opened it with the free viewer. He seems to think it has to do with one of the xrefed image files. Maybe... but those files have been there for a while. I then called the company I bought AutoCAD from, and they told me to download 2015... it *might* fix it. All well and good but I have a 512 GB SSD that is nearly full, and despite the fact that I have a "D" drive with over 1 TB of space I cannot install 2015. Why? It needs the full install space (70 GB) for temporary files while installing it to the "D" drive. For all the love that is holy! I then sent the file to the company telling them I just needed to get it fixed at 8:47 a.m. EST, I have yet to hear back.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll be happy to upload the pdf I made of the file with the "visible" (black) layers that were turned off, as well as the actual file itself. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Might you have active Layer Filters enabled in the problem viewport?

Or is LAYISO enabled in that viewport?

Your friend was successful using TrueView 2015?

Have you considered downloading it, as it is free, and likely appreciably smaller than the 2015 Vanilla download?

How big is the file?

I would be happy to take a look at the file, if I can get it.

Try this, perhaps the visibility changes which you have made are messing with you.

Set your VISRETAIN system variable to 0 , then try again to open your drawing. Read the description in the SYSVDLG box. I am guessing that you are currently using the default OOTB setting of 1. I hope that works for you.

Hail Mary Visretain setting tweak.jpg

That did it!!!!!! Thanks so much. I'm also sorry it took so long to reply... I was trying to fix this file quickly before leaving town, but it didn't happen.

Excellent, you have made my day, with that great news.

I have been checking back, hoping that would be the workaround,

was afraid that you might have missed my suggestion. :beer:

Thanks very much for letting us know that it worked.