Will an Intel i5-3570K CPU w/ 8gig of ram and HD 4000 graphics (onboard) run SU Pro?

Sid

I'm interested in solid modelling in SketchUp Pro with the set-up described in the heading. My models will be rather simple---commonly, nothing much more than a cube perforated with the subtraction of several other solids (cylinders, spheres, etc.). As I understand it, the i5 cpu supports OpenGL 3.1.

Impressive place (CADTutor and this forum). I look forward to sticking around here for quite some time. Thanks for having me!

Sid

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sid

• f700es

• tzframpton

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

The intel card will be a bottleneck (eventually). Look for a laptop with an nvidia based video card for best perfornance.

The intel card will be a bottleneck (eventually). Look for a laptop with an nvidia based video card for best perfornance.

Hi, f700es. Thanx for posting.

To clarify, the HD 4000 graphics is in the cpu, not a separate video card, and the computer is a desktop that I recently built---plenty of room for a discrete PCIe video card. Is your "eventual bottleneck" prediction assuming ever-increasing model complexity? Actually, my usage will only scratch the surface of SU's capacity. I'll never be creating really complex models.

One last question: Of moderately-priced nvidia cards, do you have a suggestion, or, two??? BTW, I do NO gaming, so frame rates are not an issue.

And, thanx, again, for sharing your thoughts.

Agree with f700es, I've used an on-board HD 4000 graphics and although phenomenal in terms of on-board, it's best to muster up an extra $100-$150 if all possible. Or if this is a laptop then find something with a dedicated video accelerator. 16GB RAM minimum. Core i5 is definitely stout enough for lasting CPU crunching.

We have older pc's loaded 2015 and they reported INTEL graphics card not supported so agree look for Nvidia etc. Typing this on a Samsung laptop with Nvidia out of box.

Yeah I know the card is built into the cpu ;) What is your budget? Here is a GTX 650 for $103 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127703

Not a bad card. A good card can be had for $50 but this better.

Many thanx, f700es. The MSI card looks good, especially after picking the 2gig version for only $6.00 more ($109). No doubt, it'll handle all my rather meager needs. Heck, I may even break out FS and buzz around a little :D.

Sid

Agree with f700es, I've used an on-board HD 4000 graphics and although phenomenal in terms of on-board, it's best to muster up an extra $100-$150 if all possible. Or if this is a laptop then find something with a dedicated video accelerator. 16GB RAM minimum. Core i5 is definitely stout enough for lasting CPU crunching.

Thanx for the added comments, tz. Much appreciated.

Sid

We have older pc's loaded 2015 and they reported INTEL graphics card not supported so agree look for Nvidia etc. Typing this on a Samsung laptop with Nvidia out of box.

BigAl, you and the other guys have been very helpful with your comments on this issue. Greatly appreciate your input.

Sid

I should have pointed out that I am just learning SU---and---I will be doing rather lightweight solid modeling with it.

Also, I wanted to say that I'll be posting back with an update later.

Thanx, again, guys!

Sid

Last minute question:

Just discovered that Fry's has the GTX 650 with 1gig of RAM on sale for $80 with free shipping, so now, I'm wondering if I'd be sacrificing too much by saving the extra thirty bucks (Newegg) but losing that second gig of memory in view of the fact that my demands on SU solid modeling will be minimal. Whadayathink???

Thanx!

Sid

Personally, I'd spend the $30 extra for the additional 2GB of RAM. But then again I'm not a starving college kid so I can definitely say that the drop in 1GB of RAM will still be more than efficient, so the $30 can go towards three 30-packs of natty light.

;)

Turns out that I have an invidia Geforce GT 630 card in another computer that I could pirate if you, f700es and tzframpton, think it would suffice for lightweight 3D modeling in SU. It is an inno3

d card with 2gig of ram and supports DirectX 11, Shader Model 5.0, and True High Dynamic Range lighting. Sounds capable to me, but, I will await your expert opinions. Many thanx, guys!

Most definitely, that's plenty stout. Any 600, 700 or 800 series nVidia gaming card will be way more than enough. Remember, the HD 4000 is not a chump either, it can hold it's own plenty fine. f700es and myself were only saying "if" budget allows, get something a little extra.

But yes, a GT-630 is definitely miles above the integrated Intel graphics so two thumbs up is my vote. :)

Thanx, tz. On further consideration, I have decided to follow yours and f700es's suggestion to get the GTX 650 and leave the GT 630 in the older computer with 32bit Windows 7. My new build is Windows 7 64bit and I can't transfer my 32bit version of Autocad to it (the new computer) and need the board where it is to support Autocad.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with an EVGA GTX 650 card with 1 gig of memory. Problem is, it takes SketchUp a good twenty minutes to execute any input...totally useless. Now trying to get to the bottom of this conundrum. Any ideas?

Wouldn't hurt to do it again, if I have (which I think I did back when I was troubleshooting the prob on my own). Do you recommend I uninstall the existing install, or, just reinstall over the existing installation?