Wacom Tablet

Cad64

I've been on the verge of buying myself a Wacom tablet for quite some time and just haven't bit the bullet yet

I have a 21" Cintiq and it is one of the best investments I've made. I can't imagine working without it. They have a 24" HD model now, but I don't have the money to upgrade and my 21" is still working fine.

The Intuos tablets are pretty cheap. That's what I started out with.

I have a 21" Cintiq and it is one of the best investments I've made. I can't imagine working without it. They have a 24" HD model now, but I don't have the money to upgrade and my 21" is still working fine.

The Intuos tablets are pretty cheap. That's what I started out with.

Mind starting a new thread on this?

So here's the one I'm going to buy: http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-m

It's the medium sized Intuos with Touch and Gestures. $199 MSRP but $160 all day long on Amazon w/ Prime eligible free shipping. Since this is hobby only, I figure this is the best bang for the buck. I've considered the $349 Pro version but not to just get me started. I've seen some phenomenal stuff done with the Intuos and I want to get a feel for using one of these first.

A friend of mine has the $99 version and it was so neat to fiddle with... although my brain to hand motor functions weren't in sync with the tablet-to-screen link but I was getting it finally after a good twenty minutes.

I took a side job that has had me swamped for the last six months and I'm hoping it's done in two months to come. This has put my entire life on hold at the moment and as soon as I'm free from the shackles of this side job I'm taking a year off of side work, and finishing some personal projects (my outdoor patio bar, my fender guitar project, buying a pen tablet, etc). What I want to ultimately do is combine some 3ds Max 3D visualizations and renderings with my hand drawing artwork and let my creative juices really flow into whatever it eventually comes to be.

The only good thing about this side job I took is that it's buying my wife a new-used car, cash. Other than that it's been a pretty tense six months for me and I'm itching to have my free time back.

EDIT:

BTW, that 21" Cintiq is flippin' awesome. I would love to monkey around with one of those but again, this is hobby only. Got any partial or final work you could share?

:)

Yeah, the 21" Cintiq is awesome. I use it on pretty much every project for creating textures, doing touch ups and tweaking my renders or doing full blown digital painting. Everything on my website went through the Cintiq at some point. It's amazing to be able to work directly on your images, on screen, without having to deal with the hand/eye disconnect that you have with the Intuos tablets. But having said that, I worked with my Intuos tablet for several years before moving to the Cintiq. With practice, your mind will figure out how to make the connection. It just takes a little time getting used to it.

• 6 months later...

I went ahead and bought the CTH680 a couple of months ago. Man this thing is awesome... I have to pry myself away from it when I'm home and spend time with the wife and kiddo, haha. Here's a couple sketches I did.... the lion is a sketch based off a picture, my first attempt to "break it in". The second is just my latest sketch I did.

tIDPMkQl.jpg

Cg4YoeGl.png

The first one with the lion, I did in Photoshop and hadn't figured out how to enable the Pen Pressure yet. The second image, I used Pen Pressures and it's what really brings a tablet "to life". One of the best toys I've ever had the pleasure in buying myself, that's for sure.

8)

Hands are one of the most difficult things to draw, so good job on that one. :thumbsup:

And yeah, if you don't have the pressure sensitivity enabled, it's very difficult to draw anything effectively.

Thanks man... the hand was something I had to redo a few times on the original draft. Good thing for layers and the undo button though. It still looks weird to me... a couple of the fingers that is... but I felt it was "good enough" so I added the shading and finalized it with the name of the piece "Praise". Do you have any sketches you care to share with us?

:)

I typically don't draw on the tablet. I guess I'm more traditional when it comes to drawing so I stick with pencil on paper. Then I scan it and bring it in to Photoshop for painting. When I do draw on the tablet, it's usually just to block in basic form and shapes for painting over. Not really much to look at on it's own. I have 3 digital paintings on my website, but I've been doing so much 3D for the past few years, I haven't had much time for drawing. It's something I've been meaning to get back into, just haven't found the time yet. When I do, I'll be sure to post them up here though. This forum is all about the technical side of things, so it's nice to see some hand drawn artwork from time to time. :)

Very nice Tanner! I am telling you, look at a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 tablet. One of the best investments I ever made. Apple really missed the boat for not including a Wacom pressure sensitive screen option for some of their models (I think they are about to release one though). Here is my home screen...

Screenshot_2015-01-30-08-56-15.jpg

Very fun to "play" with ;)

I am telling you, look at a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 tablet. One of the best investments I ever made.

I've been checking out the Galaxy Note lately. Thinking about getting one.

Well, if $$ was no problem I'd upgrade mine to the 12.2 Galaxy Note Pro ($650).

• Android 4.4 Kit Kat OS, 1.9GHz Samsung Exynos 5 Octa processor
  • 32 GB Flash Memory, 3 GB RAM
  • 12.2-inch 2560x1600 WQXGA Display

:drool:

I would not mind a Windows tablet with a stylus either.

Well, if $$ was no problem I'd upgrade mine to the 12.2 Galaxy Note Pro ($650).

That's the one I was looking at. Just having a hard time justifying the cost. That's a pretty expensive toy. :P

That's the one I was looking at. Just having a hard time justifying the cost. That's a pretty expensive toy. :P

I wonder if you can get a Windows tablet with a pressure stylus for the same price?

I mean the apps are there...

AutoDesk Sketchbook

Wacom Bamboo Paper

Artrage

Well after using google it looks like there are options...

ASUS VivoTab Note 8" - $304.99 at Amazon.

Wacom stylus, quad core atom baytrail cpu, Win8.1, Office, 64gb & 2gb ram. Wish the screen was bigger.

Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10.1" - $400

same specs as the ASUS but 10.1" screen

Of course the Surface Pro 3 is an option (ouch!)

Man, maybe I should have bought a the Toshiba instead!! Lol, oh well. Too late now unless I wanted to sell it. The Toshiba you listed is veeeery tempting....

It is, isn't it. I'd prefer a little more cpu power but I am not 100% familiar with those atom cpus. My son has a haswell powered Asus Chromebook which performs well enough.