How to remove the water spray stream by obstruction?

dayongli86

Dear Sir

I am working in illuminating the fire spray water protetion pattern on a sphere tank, while at the area of conjuction between sphere shell and sphere leg, some water spray would be obstructed by leg. I am trying to identify how much water steam will be obstructed, but don't know how remove the part of cone which would be obstructed by sphere leg. See picture attached.

Your helping and education will be highly appreciated.

Water Spray.jpg

You want to determine how much spray is being obstructed by the leg? Try using the INTERFERE command.

Cylinder and cone.jpg

Imagine you subtracted the cone-shaped spray pattern from the leg. What would be the volume of the void left behind? The INTERFERE command can help you determine that. In the Interference Checking dialog box uncheck the option that reads "Delete interference objects created on close". Once you have that object created run the MASSPROP command on it.

In the example above the "interference object" happens to be the red solid you see at the far right. This object would be the same size/shape as the void in our leg.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks so much, Remark, This does help a lot. One more question is how to remove the part which is behind the sphere leg in water spary direction? Thanks again for your great education.

Got it, Remark. I have moved the interference object by following your instruction. One more question is if that is possible to remove the portion which is also out of sphere leg, and is being obstructed by leg in spray direction. See red mark in the picture.

Thanks again for your great education.

Example.jpg

Thanks so much, Hoss. This is really roburst ideal for me. You will be highly appreciated if you can instruct me a little bit more detail.

Thanks again for this great instruction.

First Origin UCS on the Quadrant / side of leg and slice the cone by ZX, but keep both sides

1.jpg

and repeat for the opposite side and delete the part you don't want

2.jpg

after this all the part obstructed by leg, will be deleted

In addition to the other suggestions, you can simply SLICE the cone from the Apex of the cone tangent to the cylinder.... no need to re-orient the UCS or use point filters.

Interfere-Slice.gif

Thanks so much nestly, I have tried both methods, all of them are working very well.

Thanks again for your great education.