How does my page number block function

Orybear

I have a page number block with an annotation that when pasted into a drawing will update itself to whatever text has been entered on its page tab. The person who left us the block has long since left the company. I am trying to understand how this block functions but I do not know how to get a look at what is going on. The block works when pasted into a new drawing so the mechanism seems to be contained in the block. Is there a way to see how this block functions?

can you attach a copy, it probably uses a field to read the layout tab, but without seeing the block it is guesswork.

Open the block using BEDIT. You can then interrogate the contents. Is it not a FIELD attribute within the block.

The page Number Block is on page 1. You have to open another tab before the attribute will update. I have no formal CAD training, though I have used autocad for years to generate cut files for automated machines. Now that I am doing more shop drawings I am working to understand the tools available to simplify the process. But, at the moment, you will need to keep information as simple as possible.

Thank you,

Orybear

Page Number Block.dwg

It is an attribute inside a block. Select the block and type "BE" to start the block editor click ok at the dialogue box to accept mypage as the block you want to edit,

once in the block editor you should see the text xyzpagenumber, that is the attribute, double click on that and you will start the attribute editor.

This opens another dialogue with 3 sections the top one 'TAG' is the title of the attribute, the one you want is the bottom one click on the default value "MODEL" to highlight it and then right click (you have to highlight it first) select 'edit field', and guess what there is another dialogue, you should be able to see that the field is using the system variable 'ctab' which reads the text from the current layout. Its that easy :(

It is an attribute inside a block. Select the block and type "BE" to start the block editor click ok at the dialogue box to accept mypage as the block you want to edit,

once in the block editor you should see the text xyzpagenumber, that is the attribute, double click on that and you will start the attribute editor.

This opens another dialogue with 3 sections the top one 'TAG' is the title of the attribute, the one you want is the bottom one click on the default value "MODEL" to highlight it and then right click (you have to highlight it first) select 'edit field', and guess what there is another dialogue, you should be able to see that the field is using the system variable 'ctab' which reads the text from the current layout. Its that easy :(

Thank you for the help.

Neither of my Autocad manuals were of much help. Go figure.. I was surprised at the amount of misinformation on many of the CAD postings and pages on the web.

I was surprised at the amount of misinformation on many of the CAD postings and pages on the web.

Misinformation on the web, really? Say it isn't so. :shock: