Setting up styles in Civil 3D 2014-2015

MillerMG

Does anyone else hate having to set up literally every single possible scenario for this program? Such as Profile View, Profile, Tick Marks, Marjor & Minor Stations. The list goes on and on. Once its done its the best thing ever but dag on! It takes literally days to set up. Still have to do tweaks afterwards.

Its probably the biggest failing in CIV3d that you can not export out the styles to say Excel, add, modify, then import back in. There are some 3rd party programs around that do this but at a cost. There is a few recent posts about modifying styles here if you have a search. having been involved with a competitive softwrae product that did this over 30 years ago you really have to wonder do the Boffins at Autodesk really ask what do people want ?

..... you really have to wonder do the Boffins at Autodesk really ask what do people want ?

What people?

The shareholders? Absolutely!

@ BIGAL hit the nail on the head. Like I said, once its all set up its wonderful but dang...It takes FOOOORRREEEVVVVERRRRRR (Sandlot reference)

@ rkmcswain baahahhahahhahahhaahha

The county I work for hired an outside Firm to come in and

setup our styles based on our input. Over the long run it was much cheaper!

Here is one from Augi's forum that may help get you started.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?73921-Civil-3D-Template(dwt)&

Here is another one.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?86687-Civil3Dguide-com-Template&

We were lucky the Autocad dealer supplied us a DWT as a starting point and it covered the majority of our field coding. Its a shame we do not here about more suppliers offering DWT's to match location requirements, but thankfully we have Cadtutor, ask nicely and some one generally has one they will sell for a slab of beer. Remember you can import styles from other dwg's

Great point BIGAL. I greatly appreciate it. I must say I am VERY lucky to have stumbled upon this sight!

We were lucky the Autocad dealer supplied us a DWT as a starting point and it covered the majority of our field coding. Its a shame we do not here about more suppliers offering DWT's to match location requirements, but thankfully we have Cadtutor, ask nicely and some one generally has one they will sell for a slab of beer. Remember you can import styles from other dwg's

Ahem. My company does :) It's still a pain to get them done, but since I do it much more often than my clients, I usually know where to look at least.

Lol. I like the "Ahem" Any guidance would be wonderful. I'm going on my third day of editing and tweaking. About ready to pull my hair out.

Any guidance would be wonderful. I'm going on my third day of editing and tweaking. About ready to pull my hair out.

Not enough time here to site directly, however another similar topic was recently discussed here, that may leave you with at least some hair. :)

Cheers

Not enough time here to site directly, however another similar topic was recently discussed here, that may leave you with at least some hair. :)

Cheers

Much appreciated BlackBox. I have read many threads that you have been apart of. A lot of useful insight.

Much appreciated BlackBox. I have read many threads that you have been apart of. A lot of useful insight.

That is kind of you to say, MillerMG; I'm happy to help. :beer:

To the Moderator it may be a good idea to add to the Downloads section CIV3D dwt's, I am sure a couple of suppliers would be interested as obviously it would start with their company advertising their services. I would be happy to upload if organisation is happy. Here in Victoria AUS there really is only 2 stds our Roads authority but numeric or alpha coding.

• 3 weeks later...