Civil 3D Label Styles, Set layer in Style Composer but still defaulting to layer 0!

MillerMG

What in the world am I missing? I am working on simple line labeling set up style. I put the Line Style to our BRGTXT layer in the Line Style Composer as well as the Line default and made sure that it is on override and child override. When I add the label to the line it is the correct color but properties says that it is still on layer 0. I can change the layer in the properties but I shouldn't have to do that. Any ideas? Greatly appreciate it.

Miller

Yep...Lol. That's exactly what I tried and it didn't work. I know there is something that I am missing

BTW: Thank you very much for all your help!

Every civil entity has an object layer that it is created on. You can find those if you go to the Drawing Settings of the drawing. (Right click on your drawing in the settings tab of toolspace.)

You can further control your styles by settings layers in the style settings. if you set your style to layer 0 it will take on the properties of the object layer. Or you can overwrite the properties by setting a different layer.

Just think of it as a block. You can insert a block on layer 0, but it can contain entities on layer 2.

I hope that made sense.

Yes!! That all made sense. Thank you very much! I knew some of this but what I didn't know...great stuff

How do you change the block for an alignment geometry point. Mine is set as a circle. I have it as a tick but doesn't show up as a tick.

Also, on a profile view the VC is a circle as well and I need it to be a triangle.

Alignment geometry points are part of the Alignment Style. The "block" is actually a marker point, which another style to edit. Go into the Alignment Style>Markers Tab. You will be able to change each marker for each different geometry point.

The same thing with profiles. Profile Style>Markers Tab.

You can use the stock ones, which I think will have most of what you need, or you can make your own Marker Style.

Welcome to the world of styles, labels, label sets, markers, and codes. It will take some time, but once you get it, you get it.

Lifesaver! Thanks Bill_Myron!!! Greatly appreciate the help. Yeah, the styles, labels, label sets, markers, and codes are intense! LOL. Once I get the hang of it, it's going to be great!

Is there a way to anchor the PVC/PVT at the bottom of the profile? I cannot move it below the proposed grade line.

Could it be the Dimension Anchor Option that is messing wiht you? You can find it on the Properties palette to test if that is the issue, to change it for real... argh, now I gotta find that!

I got it to go below the grade line. It was a profile label setting. Then to split the PVC/PVT up from the K value you have to do a "flip label"