"make part" or "derive"...which is better?

mjncad

I'm trying to figure out which is better, "make part" or "derive." I'm sure both have there pros and cons, and I'd like to hear what experienced users have to say. Yes I searched the forums and came up empty for such a comparison.

Thanks.

There is no "better", as JD states, it's whether you want to "Push" or "Pull" your design and changes.

Use Derive to create parts from a part. i.e.... a machined part that is made from a cast part. (bottom up technique)

Use Make Part to create parts from an assembly. i.e. assembled parts that are made using a common layout sketch (top down technique)

There is no "better", as JD states, it's whether you want to "Push" or "Pull" your design and changes.

Use Derive to create parts from a part. i.e.... a machined part that is made from a cast part. (bottom up technique)

Use Make Part to create parts from an assembly. i.e. assembled parts that are made using a common layout sketch (top down technique)

Thanks, it's starting to become clearer to me. I've been using CAD since 1979, primarily in the heavy industrial and commercial building fields; but have only started using Inventor the past 2 - 3 years on a sporadic basis.

Trying to understand how the two related commands work in the real world and not the theory of tutorials tends to make things more relevant.

Obviously I need to experiment further to figure out when it's best to use one command over the other.