Nemetschek DWG to AutoCAD LT DWG

the ber

I receive DWG drawings made with Nemetschek software from an external company. I have to revise the drawings using AutoCAD LT 2013. I can live with the hatching and dimensions sometimes turning into lines. I find however that many of the supposedly parallel lines are not quite parallel, or that some lines do not join where they should. Is this a conversion problem between the two programs, or is it sloppy drafting?

Does it really matter?

I know how frustrating it can be to try to do something only to find out that it doesn't come out correctly because the original geometry wasn't correct. I try to not focus on the why any more but it is so frustrating when you are doing it right and it comes out wrong because of something out of your control.

Yes, it does matter. If the mistakes come from a drafter and not from the conversion process then we might want to look for another planning company. If the mistakes are a combination of both then we need a new company that uses only Autodesk products.

A quick search shows that Nemetschek is the umbrella for several brands, among them Graphisoft that makes ArchiCAD - a fairly wellknown cad-software. If it is ArchiCAD that is used, I doubt that it is the program that is the problem. It's possible that it's the conversion, but if it is 2D-cad, I doubt it.

You can download a trial of ArchiCAD (again, assuming it's ArchiCAD we're talking about and you know what they say about assuming...) and request the original file from the contractor and see for yourself.

Like Tiger said, if it is 2D, I highly doubt non-parallel lines is a conversion problem. Let us know how it works out.

I had some VectorWorks files sent to me years ago that were simply horrible. I agree in asking what program they are using and then use the appropriate demo to test it.

If you start with a graphic program like say Paint then your picking pixels and that would explain the non parallel lines. In autocad set SNAP to a small size and watch your lines go off parallel.

sounds like sloppy drafting to me. I get drawings from other contractors using AutoCAD and other products and the lines don't meet! Fillet ZERO people! So easy. One of the first things beaten into me 20+ years ago when changed from paper drawings to make sure the lines meet. Trim/Extend, use of snaps, and my old fav FILLET ZERO.