file size problem - Autocad 2014

Jessica28

Hello,

I'm running autocad 2014 MEP and I am trying to shrink a large file (25 megs) but I cant seem to. I was trying to find the problem objects by deleting one layer at a time. Well, I'm down to a purged drawing. Completely empty in model space and paper space and it's still the same size. What could still be making the file size so big?

Thanks, Jess

It could be DGN linetypes, or scale list bloat.

If it is DGN Linetypes then you should clean it up with Autocad 2015, or TrueView 2015, which is a free download.

Have you tried using the commandline version of -purge (include the hyphen)?

If not, try it, first select R for Regapps, say NO to confirmation,

then rerun it selecting ALL, and when you are all done, AUDIT.

You may have a thousand or so REGAPPS cluttering up your template.

How would I get rid of scale lists?

I also did try the -purge..That did work on the empty drawing! Thanks...So I went back to the original drawing and tried the -purge and audit but the file stayed the same size. So now I guess I could try eliminating a couple layers at a time and run those commands and see what happens.

I think the following is worth a try. This technique often fixes problems I have with AutoCAD files.

1. Select everything you want with a big select window (thaw desired layers first of course).

2. Use Ctrl-C to copy selected objects to the clipboard.

3. Open a new empty drawing and use Ctrl-P to Paste the objects into the new drawing. Specify 0,0,0 as the insertion point.

4. Use Explode if necessary to reduce the Block to more primitive objects.

5. Save the file with a new name and compare file size to the original.

This will usually make the drawing size much smaller (and fix a host of other problems).

Yea, I had tried that and it didn't change the file size at all. I also tried wblocking the drawing out and that didn't work either...There are a bunch of floors on this job that I'm working on and they are all the same issue.

Just screwing around I copied and pasted just a line from a new drawing into the large drawing. I then took that same line right away and copied it out into the new blank drawing. When I did that, the new drawing was now 25 megs also...Weird how the problem went right along with that line into a new blank file.

I am very busy at the moment, don't have the link handy. If you go to the Autodesk site, you will find a download listed with the updates, service packs and hot fixes for your software.

AutoCAD MEP can have additional information embedded into the DWG file. You can go to the Application Button > Drawing Utilities > Purge MEP Objects tool to get rid of the items that the normal Purge tool cannot.

I'm sorry. I misspoke. I thought I had service pack 1 installed so I said I did without even looking. : )- But then second guessed myself and checked....I'll try installing it now.

AutoCAD MEP can have additional information embedded into the DWG file. You can go to the Application Button > Drawing Utilities > Purge MEP Objects tool to get rid of the items that the normal Purge tool cannot.

Excellent, Tannar to the rescue! :beer:

I have zero experience with MEP, and Tannar has plenty!

You're in good hands now. :)

I still have a few MEP tricks up my sleeve, but my MEP days are long gone. Revit is where it's at. 8)

Jessica, be reminded that we do have an MEP section of the forum, and there are a few users that are unbelievably intuitive with the MEP platform and usually can offer assistance that is above and beyond most user's capabilities. Since you're using AutoCAD MEP, it's wise to post in the MEP section first so the MEP users will see the notification in that particular forum.

Awesome. Dadgad, The Service pack fixed the problem! I have been having issues from time to time with copy and pasting out of drawings. I just figured it had something to do with our network. I should have come here sooner...Thanks guys for all your great tips....And Tanner, thanks for the purge tip..I didn't know MEP had a separate purge function.

Thanks Tanner. I thought about going to the MEP forum.. But I thought that maybe it was more of a straight autocad issue and not anything to do with MEP itself. But maybe I shouldn't look at it like that.