That annoying Ortho box

Grigs

When creating a line or moving an object with ortho mode on, there is a box next to the cursor that shows distance and direction. The annoying part is that is switches between a number and exponential number as the cursor moves. Is there a way to force AutoCAD not to use exponential numbers?

Can you explain what you mean by exponential number. Mine just shows the distance expressed in the units I'm using.

When creating a line or moving an object with ortho mode on, there is a box next to the cursor that shows distance and direction. The annoying part is that is switches between a number and exponential number as the cursor moves. Is there a way to force AutoCAD not to use exponential numbers?
This is directly tied to your Units precision per drawing and zoom factor. The further you are zoomed out, and the higher your precision set in the UNITS Drawing Setup Tab, the more this exponential numbering will occur. Set your Unit Precision to as low as they will go and you will not see this problem unless you are zoomed out to an astronomical scale.

Hope this helps.

You can set the rounding in units to a coarser amount and it will help in most cases, but you have to be careful with measurements, etc.

f12 key or click the dynamic input option bottom left ( cross with little white square next to it)

f12 key or click the dynamic input option bottom left ( cross with little white square next to it)
This is not related to the dynamic input.

Grigs, I do not know of a way to turn it off. Maybe someone does, however, so hopefully someone will see this thread and post a solution.

Options, drafting, un-tick 'Display full screen tracking vector' . This makes mine disappear but I have to honest I don't know what else it may effect.

Options, drafting, un-tick 'Display full screen tracking vector' . This makes mine disappear but I have to honest I don't know what else it may effect.
Unchecking "Display AutoTrack Tooltip" is what did it for me. Good find. :)

This is not related to the dynamic input.

It's actually a combination of the DYNPIVIS sysvar within Dynamic Input and AutoTrack tooltip. Disabling Dynamic Input will turn off the continuous coordinate display at the cursor, but you'll still see the coordinates when Ortho or Polar tracking is active unless you also turn off AutoTrack tooltips Tools > Options > Drafting > Display AutoTrack tooltip