Dim Style properties tool???

How can i get the dim style drop down show up on the top of my ribbon somewhere, what i can do right now is that i can click on any dims on my drawing and the dim would show on the quick properties list and i can change to any dim that i want that fit the plot scale ex: 1"=1', 1/2"=1', 3/4"=1'...... How i can i bring in that drop down tool and make it stays on the ribbon. thanks

dimlayer.jpg

Technically, you're using toolbars, not "Ribbon" but to answer your queston, the Dimstyle Control should be part of the "Dimension" toolbar. It looks like you already have a "dimension" toolbar on the top row, so I assume it's either a custom toolbar, or at some point you removed the Dimstyle Control from the standard toolbar. Try right clicking on the dark grey area behind the toolbar(s) and put a checkmark next to "Dimension" in the AutoCAD toolbar list. If that doesn't do it, then you need to open the CUI and either drag the "DimStyle Control" into an existing toobar, or create a new toolbar to for the Dimstyle Control.

Dimension Toolbar.gif

Yep, It works for me, i used to have the dims control on my screen initially when i imported them from CUI but i removed it by accident. Now since i have all the setting and tools that i want, how can i save all the setting so that nobody change it the next day?

Thanks

First save your workspace.

As far as settings go are you referring to system variables? If yes...Express Tools > SYSVDLG.

"Allows you to view, edit, save, and restore system variable settings."

how can i save all the setting so that nobody change it the next day? [/i][/u][/b]

Thanks

As ReMark said, you have to save the Workspace after you have it like you want it, or else it will not be the same the next time you return to your workspace.

As far as backup goes, you can manually copy the Acad.cui and any other customized .cui files from your AutoCAD2010 user profile and put the in a safe location in case you need to restore your settings sometime in the future, but if 2010 has the Import/Export Settings tools on the Windows Start Menu, that's the easiest method for backing up your settings/workspaces

Export CUI.jpg

Yep, It works for me, i used to have the dims control on my screen initially when i imported them from CUI but i removed it by accident. Now since i have all the setting and tools that i want, how can i save all the setting so that nobody change it the next day? Thanks

I am assuming you mean by "settings" your workspace customizations, since that is what we are discussing. System variables and workspace changes are two different things. Changing most system variables (like pickfirst or pickadd) will affect anyone using this particular installation of AutoCad. Changing or customizing personal workspaces is different.

The first thing you need to know is that you cannot save changes to the default workspaces that come with AutoCad no matter how many changes you make to it. Once you have made changes to the current default workspace, you must save it as a named workspace and then use that saved workspace as "My workspace".

To do that click on the little workspace icon, which looks like a gear on your "tray", at the bottom of your status bar, at the lower right of your screen. If you don't have that icon showing, right click somewhere on the empty part of the lower status bar, and then check off, Workspaces.

Now that the workspace icon (gear) is showing, click it, then select "Save current as...". This is where you will name your workspace and then save it.

If you don't have or want the gear icon on the status bar, you can simply type the command wssave which will also allow you to name and save your current workspace as your own.

Once you have a named workspace, go back and click on the gear icon again if you are using it, or type the command wssettings.

You will be presented with a dialog where you are able to equate the workspace you just named and saved with "My Workspace".

You can also move your named workspace up or down on the list of workspaces you will see. Moving a workspace to the top of that list will make it the workspace that this computer will default to when opened.

If you share a computer, there will be other user's workspaces on there, so if someone else has seniority over you, you may not want to take first position. ;)

If you don't set the program to default to your new personal workspace, you can always start it up by clicking on the gear icon and selecting Workspace Settings, or by typing the command wssettings, then change to your workspace.

While you are working in your personal workspace, you can go to wssettings and select the button that will automatically save any new workspace customizations like toolbars and pallets and things that you make during the day, to your personal workspace so they will be there next time without having to think about it.

The first thing you need to know is that you cannot save changes to the default workspaces that come with AutoCad no matter how many changes you make to it.

Perhaps that's true in AutoCAD LT ( I don't use LT), but there are no restrictions on what you can change/save in the default workspaces in AutoCAD. Ideally, it's probably a good idea to create a new custom workspace, but it's certainly not a requirement.

Perhaps that's true in AutoCAD LT ( I don't use LT), but there are no restrictions on what you can change/save in the default workspaces in AutoCAD. Ideally, it's probably a good idea to create a new custom workspace, but it's certainly not a requirement.
So one can simply destroy the AutoCad Classic, and the Drafting and Annotation workspaces that are shipped through customization? AutoCad full has profiles so I would think that there is a failsafe somewhere in there to protect the legacy workspace. Profile is another function AutoCad LT doesn't have so they are right up front with the workspace thing. The default workspaces simply revert the next time the program opens. Of course noobs have to go through a couple of "where the hell are my toolbars?" before they look it up.:P;)

So one can simply destroy the AutoCad Classic, and the Drafting and Annotation workspaces that are shipped through customization?

Yep... we're free to turn the OOTB workspaces inside out, upside down, or tear them up into confetti if we want to :)

I would think that there is a failsafe somewhere in there to protect the legacy workspace

Also correct. Workspaces are saved within the .cui files, and AutoCAD offers several options to repair cuis/workspaces. "restore" which reloads the last saved version of the CUI, and "reset" which reloads the OOTB Cuix (which contains the OOTB workspaces)

Restore Cui files.gif

There's also "Reset Settings to Default" on the Windows Start menu, which is a complete replacement of everything back to the OOTB state.

Yep... we're free to turn the OOTB workspaces inside out, upside down, or tear them up into confetti if we want to :)

Also correct. Workspaces are saved within the .cui files, and AutoCAD offers several options to repair cuis/workspaces. "restore" which reloads the last saved version of the CUI, and "reset" which reloads the OOTB Cuix (which contains the OOTB workspaces)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49957[/ATTACH]

There's also "Reset Settings to Default" on the Windows Start menu, which is a complete replacement of everything back to the OOTB state.

By the way, the Help file told me about not being able to save the changes made to the legacy GUI but I coulda swore I read it at work on the full AutoCad program. Probably wrong. I know it's here on my LT version though.

Well, then. But there ain't no RESET button in LT. I don't even get the pop-up menu, but that could be my inadequate on-board graphics card in this ALL IN ONE POS I'm on now. I have all sorts of AutoCad issues like that on this computer but it's more because of trying to run in Win 8. I'll try my W 7 laptop later when the battery charges, where the program and graphics work just fine.

Windows Start Menu? What's that? ;)

I guess I should add that I'm using 2011 thru 2015, so perhaps some (or all) of what I've said in this thread may not apply to 2009 & 2010

I guess I should add that I'm using 2011 thru 2015, so perhaps some (or all) of what I've said in this thread may not apply to 2009 & 2010
I don't think it's a version thing. I ran the AutoCad LT 2015 trial version, ending just a couple of weeks ago, and it also would not let me save changes to the default (legacy) workspaces. Then the true legacy workspace, the classic tool bar version, is completely gone from 2015. Of course it is only gone in a sense, one can build it with the cui but the button icons are all new.

Now, in 2009 and a couple beyond, one could run both classic and ribbon at the same time just by typing ribbon while in the classic workspace. But that would be stoopid. I don't know why I even brought it up. Yeah, my command line font is a little mall. That is a 2009 on Win 8 thing. I have to fix it every time I open the program but I am only running it on W 8 as an experiment.

Stoopud.jpg

Sorry for late, I just want to be able to save all my tools that i have already set up the way i want as shown in red, there are several times that the layers properties tool bar or dim style control gone on the next day when i open the new autocad the next day. By the way my layers properties tool are missing again today.

autocad classic.jpg

I think we have already mentioned more than once that you should save your custom workspace under a new name. Your toolbars and tool palette locations will remain just as they are every time you open a drawing in that workspace.

Sorry for late, I just want to be able to save all my tools that i have already set up the way i want as shown in red, there are several times that the layers properties tool bar or dim style control gone on the next day when i open the new autocad the next day. By the way my layers properties tool are missing again today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49968[/ATTACH]

Did you skip over the entire thread? I am withdrawing from further comment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49968[/ATTACH]

Right click in the area where no tool bars are currently being displayed, and select LOCK LOCATION > ALL.

Then go back and review the previous posts, and SAVE your WORKSPACE.