Determine what a viewport's custom scale is

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to determine what the custom scale of a viewport is?

I have some existing drawings that are using non-standard scales and simply state 'Custom' in their properties window.

i know a workaround.....

make a line in paperspace over your viewport. make it say 100mm long. copy it so you have 2.

use CHSPACE command to push it through your viewport without changing its appearance. AutoCAD will have scaled it to make this work.

measure the line you now have in model space. divide that length by the eg. 100mm you started with.

the difference in size is the scale factor. so if the new line is 5000mm, your viewport scale is 1:50

hope this helps!

In Properties, below Standard scale field there is Custom scale were you have a number; that is the scale ratio which you can use to calculate the report.

For metric, divide 1 with that ratio; example:

ratio = 0.5 --> 1 / 0.5 = 2 --> 1:2 scale

For imperial, multiply 12 with said ratio; example:

ratio = 0.5 --> 12 * 0.5 = 6 --> 6":1'-0" scale
Edited by MSasu

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

After custom scale, I suspect there will be a number, which represents the scale.

If you look at the image you will see my quick properties palette reporting that

the custom scale is .025, meaning 25/1000s, or 1/40th. Viewport scale equals 40.

I have never used LT, but I imagine your display is not terribly different.

You can also check in PROPERTIES, instead of in Quick Properties.

Mircea and Stuart to the rescue, good job guys! :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

Amazing, thank you all so much!

I really like that workaround designerstuart, creative :)

And thanks for the welcome to the forums Dadgad.

i know a workaround.....

make a line in paperspace over your viewport. make it say 100mm long. copy it so you have 2.

use CHSPACE command to push it through your viewport without changing its appearance. AutoCAD will have scaled it to make this work.

measure the line you now have in model space. divide that length by the eg. 100mm you started with.

the difference in size is the scale factor. so if the new line is 5000mm, your viewport scale is 1:50

hope this helps!

I didn't notice this earlier, but that is another interesting way to go, and if you are watching your commandline, after you use the changespace command,

the commandline will report the scaling which took place. Or you can just hit F2,

and check in your commandline history to see the scaling report. :beer: