Staircase Railing Balustrade

nicolas

Hi,

I am having some trouble drawing a staircase balustrade especially at the landing part (clouded in the JPEG). Any hints would be welcomed. Thanks.

Staircase Railing System.jpg

Hi Nicolas,

One thing to remember when drawing handrail and balustrade is to keep the top rail at a consistent height relative to the floor level or the nosing line of the stair tread. In this case I would simple extended the line of the upper top rail down to the top rail of the landing.

Hi.

Thanks for the input. Find attached the requested Dwg. Still have some problem even when I keep the top of the rail steady throughout, some 900 mm. from the nosing. Your helps would be greatly appreciated through I know it is not directly related to CAD, mostly technical and architectural stuffs. Thanks.

Railing Ballustrade.dwg

I think you need to move down balustrade from 1st step to end of landing and then linkup with the balustrade as shown on same landing like you have done at the end of the staircase (like left side).

Follow the advice given in post #5.

You might want to check the layers and layer properties that some of your objects reside on.

Hi.

Thanks for the input. Find attached the requested Dwg. Still have some problem even when I keep the top of the rail steady throughout, some 900 mm. from the nosing. Your helps would be greatly appreciated through I know it is not directly related to CAD, mostly technical and architectural stuffs. Thanks.

[ATTACH]49963[/ATTACH]

I see there are no lines indicating a railing design on the drawing. I guess that will come when you get the height figured out. Anyway, do it as shown in the attached screen print and modified copy of your drawing, then work out the railing to fit. It is perfectly OK by code (in my area, at least) to have that sudden height transition at the intermediate landing as I have it shown. It appears as though you will be stopping the railing at the newel posts anyway, so there is no need for fancy transition drops, goose necks, Shepherd's hooks or that sort of stuff.

Also, you could continue the upper railing run until it meets the landing railing at an angle, as far as acceptable design by code goes, but that would create a weird shape to the decorative panel below the landing railing.

The important factors are that the height of the railing be at least as high as minimum code requirements, and that the railing height be consistent throughout the entire run of the stair, including over the landings and nosing.

All I did was copy the rectangle and rightmost newel post from the upper landing to the lower landing, adjusted the rectangle's width to fit, erased the original rectangle and newel post at the intermediate landing and trimmed the existing hatch to fit the copied rectangle.

By the way, I converted your drawing to 2007 format so I could open it, so don't save it over your original drawing.

railing.jpg

Railing Ballustrade.dwg

Hi Nicolas,

One thing to remember when drawing handrail and balustrade is to keep the top rail at a consistent height relative to the floor level or the nosing line of the stair tread. In this case I would simple extended the line of the upper top rail down to the top rail of the landing.

This is what I was referring to about the weird shape of the decorative panel below the railing. Of course this can be done, but it is not required to do so.

It's been about 12 years since i designed staircases so i may be a little rusty.

1, your stantion posts are too close to the edge of the stairs and will just break away. move them to the middle.

2, If the glass has gaps that allow a 99dia sphere to pass through, then it may fail building regulations.

3, general height to top of handrail to toe of stairs must be a minimum 900mm

4, general height from landing can be dependent on building. generally between 1050mm and 1100mm (min)

The attached dwg should be acceptable. but i would recommend checking you building standards for clarification.

Railing Ballustrade-2.dwg