Dimensions not shown

pacificus

I've just started using SW, switching from Pro/e. I'm trying to create a sketch but can see no dimensions shown. Please see the attached screenshot; I have a circle and horizontal line but the diameter of the circle is not showing and neither is the line length. Please could someone tell me how I can set SW to show me dimensions, so that I can alter them?Screenshot from 2014-07-20 19:31:25.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pacificus

• JD Mather

• stevsmith

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unlike Pro-E, Solidworks does not automatically add dimensions when sketching.

You need to do this manually. (Use Sketch, Smart Dimension)

Once the lines go black, this will indicate the sketch is constrained.

Thanks very much. I can see the dimensions now. However, my first experience with SW has me thinking SW is slower and more awkward to use - sketch-wise - than Pro/e. SW also crashed during the first sketching so it isn't even looking to be less buggy, at this point. I hope the experience gets better.

Is there a way to set SW so that dimensions are automatically shown, or need I select Smart Dimension and click on the object every single time?

There is no menu option to sketch and automatically add the dimensions, however, when you are creating a sketch you can use "dynamic input" to specify the line size when creating it.

Goto Tool > Options

Under System options select sketch and check "Enable on screen numeric input on entity creation" & the option below " Create dimension only when value is entered"

It's not an ideal situation for you I'm afraid, but hopefully a little better.

I myself have been using SolidWorks for years and have recently been introduced to using ProE.

I struggle with the sketching mode in ProE because Solidworks was so simple to use. I'm getting there though. And realizing how good it actually is (ProE) :)

In all honestly, it will take a small learning curve to adjust and adapt, but once you get into the swing of it, you will realize how simple it actually is.

Many thanks. It is a shame SW does not have an auto-dimensions option. Take note, SW! Add it to the next release.

Pro/e was a hair-puling nightmare to use, and it was buggy as hell. That was the only reason I chose to switch to SW. I was told that SW is more intuitive and less buggy - easier to use and I should smash-up fewer things and pull-out less hair while designing!

I always though Inventor was slightly better than Solidworks and absolutely hated Pro/E.

Last used Solidworks 2010, seemed to work flawless here, what are your computer specifications and what version of Solidworks?

I find inventor better for handling Sheet Metal components and manufacturing drawings.

Solidworks, I find, handles surfacing a lot better and is easier to customise.

Just getting used to pro-e, but I think it will take a bit of getting used to.

I'm running Linux Zorin, but SW in Win8 via Virtualbox (within Linux). My computer is not runnng well at all but it never has. I am one of those cursed never to have properly-working computers, despite using different chips, motherboards, graphics cards, OSs, et cetera. However, I've used Pro/E on other computers (ones I was trained on) and it was still horrible. I am considering a return to Pro/E because I do not like the SW interface and also due to a more serious concern, which I'll describe below:

It seems now I have another problem: I created a simple model for FEA, for analysis in ALGOR FEMPRO, but the analysis failed because of "errors due to geometry problems".

I tried the analysis with both STEP file options. I then tried a test analysis with a simple solid rectangle (through concerns the curve in the first model created the errors) but that also failed (all models created in SW).

The (first) model was checked in SW and no problems found so I really don't know what is causing this. I can only imagine it is something to do with SW being the current release and ALGOR being some 8-years old - incompatibility.

If you have any suggestions, please advise! (I was also unable to use Simulation in SW, but that might be due to not knowing how to use it properly.)

Screenshot from 2014-07-21 11:23:12.jpg

It is a shame SW does not have an auto-dimensions option. Take note, SW! Add it to the next release.

Don't hold your breath.

The SWx developers are not unaware of Pro/E functionality.

Can you think of any logical reason why SWx does not auto-dimension a sketch in the manner that Pro/E does?

Edited by JD Mather

My best guess JD would be that in Solidworks when you apply the dimensions to the model, you have to make it constrained.

In ProE it adds the dimensions automatically, i believe this is a pretty bad method as you can overlook critical dimensions when editing the sketch.

Does this make sense?

I believe SolidWorks have got it correct. Sketch then constrain.

All I know is that the models I'm producing in SW cannot be used for FEA, so there's no point in using it. Back to the hellish torment of Pro/E...

... (I was also unable to use Simulation in SW, but that might be due to not knowing how to use it properly.)

Depending on what version of SolidWorks you are running, there is the watered down Simulation Express (I think in all versions) and the full-featured SolidWorks Simulation (you must load this through the Add-ins manager).

SolidWorks Simulation.png

....In ProE it adds the dimensions automatically, i believe this is a pretty bad method as you can overlook critical dimensions when editing the sketch....

In my experience only about 10% of users (of any CAD program) understand what they are doing - so this is a real concern.

If the OP had answered my question - I would have then requested 5 Pro/E part files picked at random that THEY had produced.

I would wager that I would find problems.

One problem that Pro/E (Creo, Pro/E no longer exists except as legacy installs) users miss is that they do not set user dimensions to be automatically Locked. So called "strong" dimensions aren't strong at all (accidentally dragging geometry will change the dimension).

....The (first) model was checked in SW and no problems found so I really don't know what is causing this. I can only imagine it is something to do with SW being the current release and ALGOR being some 8-years old - incompatibility.

Can you zip and attach the file here so that I can check in the current release of ALGOR (actually, Autodesk Simulation)?

...Solidworks, I find, handles surfacing a lot better....

Does SolidWorks have T-Splines like Inventor 2015?

Thank you, JD. I apologize I was not clear enough when I said I was unable to use Simulation. It is installed but the analysis would not run, and I don't know why. As Simulation would not work and neither would ALGOR the first thought is that I am not building models correctly perhaps due to some errant setting in SW. I set the units properly (I think) and all the lines join so I really do not know why the models will not work in FEA. I've lost over a day on this now so it is beginning to be upsetting!

I've even re-loaded Pro/E but that won't work properly due to a graphics driver issue in VirtualBox. I despair!

I agree that most CAD users don't know how to use CAD properly, and I am one of them. I am amazed that products are not failing all over the place as a result. During my degree, I corrected errors in CAD drawings using Photoshop, and even my tutors were not sufficiently knowledgeable in CAD. I believe I did answer your question by saying that "all I know is..." before complaining about the failed FEA attempts. So, in essence, I haven't much of an answer to your question, but a previous commenter did provide an answer - a better one than I could have provided.

If you could suggest a reason or two for my STEP files failing the FEA analyses, please do. I am able to set the model correctly in ALGOR but, as my earlier screenshot shows, the analysis failed due to geometry error. And as I wrote before, I made a simple extruded rectangle but that also failed due to geometry error.

Can you zip and attach the file here so that I can check in the current release of ALGOR (actually, Autodesk Simulation)?

I will seek-out a program to permit me to zip the STEP and part files and post back soon. Thanks.

I will seek-out a program to permit me to zip the STEP and part files and post back soon. Thanks.

Windows OS will create *.zip files, no third party software needed.

Simply right click on the filename or folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

zip file.jpg