Plotter and/or PDF - how about papersizes?

Pietari

Hello everyone,

I am having issues when plotting to .pdf, this is what is going on. I have a .dwg (any .dwg) wich contains 1 or more layouts. The layout is set to A1 papersize printing to the plotter, all settings like they should be. The plot is good *.

Now I need it to plot to .pdf - I use Dwg2Pdf, because it makes small .pdf's and when using publish, I can batch plot to .pdf with multi-sheet file.

But the A1 papersize of the .pdf is a bit too small, the top of the drawing is chopped of. I guess that the papersize differ from the 2 drivers.

When using cute pdf, then I cannot use publish, or I need to setup each layout with that printer/plotter.

I am totally lost about where I need to make adjustments.

Of course I could start editing pc3 files but I am not sure what is the right way.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Update 1:

See a *.gif for what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne68wbjxuc46byf/problem.gif

Update 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i31u490mtavwsyr/sizes.gif

Here are the margins, the difference is in there.

The pdf does: 11 10 5 6

The plotter: 5 4 5 5

So I think I am on the right way but wich file should I modify?

I mean, if I edit the PDF driver, it looks the easiest / best way.

But when I think about it, our A0 plotter does not print the layout correctly.

Every A1 drawing is rotated wrong, so I need to cut off a piece of paper.

If I would edit my plotter drivers paper sizes, it may be a better solution.

Also: I would rather trust an utoDesk (pdf) driver then my own drivers.

Not sure what to do....

Edited by Pietari
I made a .gif file and did some research

all settings like they should be.

Maybe not.

our A0 plotter does not print the layout correctly.

If your plotter isn't printing correctly, odds are PDFs won't be right either.

I guess that the papersize differ from the 2 drivers.

Probably not. On a PDF, the margins could be set to zero. Most printers won't like that.

Hi RobDraw & BIGAL,

Thanks for the replies! I have done some extra research and actually called some support yesterday.

It is kind of hard to explain but I will try to.

I thought that I should re-make my A1 layout, matching the PDF settings.

Because those settings (margins) come from AutoDesk.

If the PDF would be okay, then I should modify the settings for the A1 to plotter.

In that case I could print to both, having the same result.

This has been confirmed, however the margins should all be set to "0".

In that case the layout is inserted at 0,0.

I think they are right, but I have not anaged to get it right yet. Need some more time to test a little around.

As for the plotter: I had forgotten about the AutoRotate function :oops:

So far so good.

I usually use Export /pdf and either pick current layout or all layout

if you have set your layouts correctly in page setup manager, it works a treat

give it a go

Untitled.jpg

Export to PDF is the same thing as plotting using Dwg to PDF. The interface is a bit different but the options are all the same. The only reason you would get a different result from "Export" is because the settings are different.

As to your trust in the settings from AutoDesk, they are only there as a base point to start from, not necessarily as a recommended setting. Feel free to adjust to fit your needs.

As to finding settings that work for you, I would start with your plotter and get that set. From there it should be as easy as changing your plotter and tweaking the additional settings for PDF. PDFs are much more flexible than your plotter so if you get a good PDF, you may not get a good plot from your plotter and you may end up having to plot to PDF and then send the PDF to the plotter. Some people think that they have to do it that way but I think that is a work around.

Check your hard clip margins for the plotter your Title block must fit with in that, we have no problems plotting to either but I have adopted window and we pick the corner pip markers outside of the title block and use Centre at true 1:1 scale so no probs of one side missing. Exactly the same for A3 but at 1:2 only change.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will try the export function but I guess that is the same as Dwg2Pdf but I might just have a look at it.

I will do as RobDraw states; first get the plotter running 100% correctly. Because I do use that workaround these days ...

On a PDF, the margins could be set to zero. Most printers won't like that.

FWIW.....

We have the margins set to 0.0 on all sides for all of our PC3 files, PDF and hardcopy printers.

No issues.

But can you print all the way to the edge?

Maybe I should have said that you can set the margins to 0.0 but probably wont be able to print all the way to the edge?

Or do newer printers allow that?