Reducing file size of drawings

FIFTHTEXAS

I always have a problem when i am getting drawings through from various architects, huge file sizes

i do all usual stuff when getting new building plan. deleting layers i dont need, purging, auditing.

but i always end up spending such long time trying to clean up a drawing, so i can get it to a descent file size for my projects. does anyone know of a good and easy method to use, is there a program you can buy like a super purge program.

Do you purge the Regapps or use the -purge command rather than purge?

My "deep clean" macro reads like

^C^C_audit;y;;;-purge;a;*;n;-purge;r;*;n;;;

Also look out for hidden blocks. To stop people purging layers I have hidden a block in the title block with all the approved layer names in it but shrunk down to 0.1mm so it won't print.

Do you purge the Regapps or use the -purge command rather than purge?

My "deep clean" macro reads like

^C^C_audit;y;;;-purge;a;*;n;-purge;r;*;n;;;

Also look out for hidden blocks. To stop people purging layers I have hidden a block in the title block with all the approved layer names in it but shrunk down to 0.1mm so it won't print.

You should purge first then audit.

How large are the files and what size do you want them to be?

Also, look into the "EXPORTTOAUTOCAD" command. (I think I got that right, it's different for MEP.) Then purge. That will get rid of AEC stuff and can reduce the size significantly.

OVERKILL could be another good one. That will consolidate the drawing. Making overlapping lines a single line and optimizing polylines.

I think it's an art cleaning up architectural files for use as backgrounds because it really depends on the standards that were used. When working with different architects, different procedures may be needed.

Let's not forget the spawn of Satan DGN Liinetypes, which thankfully can be deleted with the regular PURGE in Autocad 2015.

How often does one really feel the need for close to a thousand linetypes in one drawing! :huh: