Theoretical Sharp Corner Dimension Placement

gbradley

I need help placing a dimension at the Theoretical Sharp Corner.

I understand how to do it with two angles and a straight line by using the Intersection.

I am having trouble with two angles and a curved line.

Any suggestions?

TSC.jpg

Autodesk Inventor 2015

If you tolerance the overall height, the angles and the .1009 dimension,you needn't be concerned with the X dimension. It becomes a reference dimension.

Gene

Yes the X distance, and I don't have pick points at the intersection of the Angled lines and the top radius.

They show in this sketch, but I don't see them in the View.

TSC2.jpg

If you tolerance the overall height, the angles and the .1009 dimension,you needn't be concerned with the X dimension. It becomes a reference dimension.

Gene

Hi Gene,

Yes, thanks, that is what I did, but I would like to see what the Reference dimension is, so that is why I want to be able to place it.

It's a lot of screwing around but you could always select the view, start a sketch and draw a line and arc segment to project the two features to a sharp point. Exit the sketch and dimension to the sharp points. If you want you can go back and edit the sketch once you've placed the dimension and make the extension line and arc sketch only so they don't show up on the drawing. Hopefully someone else has a more elegant fix, but you could always kludge it this way.

Yes the X distance, and I don't have pick points at the intersection of the Angled lines and the top radius.

They show in this sketch, but I don't see them in the View.

That is the image you should have posted originally - I couldn't see those tiny fillets in the original image.

In a case like that - I create the sketch at the part level and then Include the sketch and the dimensions when creating the drawing.

Got it

Thanks JD

I put a reference dimension in the Sketch and then Retrieved that dimension on the view

Works great!

TSC3.PNG

In your last drawing the .1009 dimension is not specified to be measured at the theoretical sharp corners. The machinist/toolmaker/mold maker or ? is not supposed to make assumptions.

Gene

Place the .1009 and .1772 dimensions before adding the 0.04 radius then you will be dimensioning to the TSC. Add a note as such to the dimension line.