Edit Reference in Place - Colour change issue

DRAFTOLOGIST

Has anyone experience this or know why this happens?

dwg A is x-refed to dwg B.

am working on dwg B & click on x-ref and go into Edit reference in place.

if I now click on

> any object and go into properties & change the color from bylayer to red (for example) and save changes. -everything works fine and when i come out - the drawing B display red colour. -which is ok

> however if i click on x-ref and go into Edit reference in place.if I now click on

a layer and change its colour from pink to red. all the objects change colour to red.

but when i save changes and come out to DWG B the colour of layer donot chage ,, stays pink

(Visretain =1 , but i don't think its to do with that)

Welcome Draftologist to CADTutor. :)

Nice Avatar and Name, now that you have fixed it!. :beer:

Per Dipali's suggestion, here is the SYSVDLG information regarding the VISRETAIN variable.

visretain variable.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

hey Dipali

I have tried the same procedure using visretain = 0. and got the same result.

I think no matter what the value of ViSRETAIN is,, - if you go into EDit _REFERENCE IN PLACE - change the colour of a LAYER ,- Save changes and go out to DWG , LAYER colour do not change.

Thanks Dadgad.

for my case/procedure I am not closing and reopening the drawing.

Changes doesn't show up while working and saving the drawing.

After closing the block editor, you might try doing a REGENALL.

Have you tried reopening one of those upon which you had been working, without displaying the changes,

to see if those changes might display after reopening the drawing?

After closing the block editor , I have REGENALL -& saved file. closed it.

& after reopening - No Changes are displayed.

ok, i tried what you were trying to do. when i chnage the layer color, irrespective of visretain value, the color changes on screen and stays that way in my working seccion. but if i open and see the xref it does not chnage in original file. so i visretain value is 0 and i reload the drawing it goes back to original color and if thevalue is 1 it satys the new color.

i have no idea about the result.

Draftologist, you should spend a few minutes delving into the system variables which are XREF related,

as shown in the snip from my SYSVDLG window, there aren't really that many,

and some of them are clearly not complicit. I am not sure if you will have the Express Tool SYSVDLG available in your vertical or not, but that is a very good place to research likely issues caused by variable conflicts.

I suggest you look at XEDIT, XLOADCTL and XREFTYPE, and pay attention to how they are related as, described there.

xref related system variables.jpg

I think until you find a solution and you want the XREF to control layer settings, you should do your XREF editing by opening the file instead of using REFEDIT. That should do what you are trying to accomplish.