Handy Command when Converting from 3D image to Annotate in 2D

CaddJax

Flatshot.

For those of you who know and use it, shame on you for not telling me sooner.

For those of you who've never heard of it... First, you're welcome. Second, this is an absolute timesaver and I recommend that you read on.

I have dabbled in 3D modeling enough that now I'm offering it to my customers. Some of them still need/want a 2D image with all of the various annotations in the typical layouts - plan, elevation & section. I happened across this little command today with essentially allows me to take a picture of my model from the view of choice and converts it into a 2D block. Huge time-saver for me and a huge memory saver for my machine.

I absolutely HATE dimensioning objects in paper space. This allows me to cut my blocks, dimension them to scale in model space without having to copy several copies of intricate 3D models to annotate the different views. Which absolutely eats up memory and makes changing views a complete PITA. By converting the different views into 2D blocks, it saves a ton of memory and doesn't cause any lag when shifting the cube around.

Enjoy.

Flatshot has been mentioned many times in numerous posts here at CADTutor as one of the options for creating 2D views of 3D models along with...

SectionPlane

SolProf

SolView/SolDraw

Base View (a.k.a. - View Base)

Anyone that works in 3D should be acquainted with how each of the above commands work and select the one best suited to their needs or the job at hand.

Edited by ReMark

Flatshot.

For those of you who know and use it, shame on you for not telling me sooner.

For those of you who've never heard of it... First, you're welcome. Second, this is an absolute timesaver and I recommend that you read on.

I have dabbled in 3D modeling enough that now I'm offering it to my customers. Some of them still need/want a 2D image with all of the various annotations in the typical layouts - plan, elevation & section. I happened across this little command today with essentially allows me to take a picture of my model from the view of choice and converts it into a 2D block. Huge time-saver for me and a huge memory saver for my machine.

I absolutely HATE dimensioning objects in paper space. This allows me to cut my blocks, dimension them to scale in model space without having to copy several copies of intricate 3D models to annotate the different views. Which absolutely eats up memory and makes changing views a complete PITA. By converting the different views into 2D blocks, it saves a ton of memory and doesn't cause any lag when shifting the cube around.

Enjoy.

pretty much what i do and now i have discovered qdim i'm very happy.

Agreed ReMark. I didn't search the forum beforehand, I whet the 'slam fist on table / bang head on wall' route and then hit F1.

As I said, I'm fairly new to 3D from a business standpoint, but in this case I modeled an accoustical ceiling layout and needed the flathot to annotate it from a top (plan) view and also a left (section) view. In this instance, flatsgot worked like a champ.

When I get a free minute, I'll check out the other commands you supplied and see if/how they might help.

Flatshot has been mentioned many times in numerous posts here at CADTutor as one of the options for creating 2D views of 3D models along with...

SectionPlane

SolProf

SolView/SolDraw

Base View (a.k.a. - View Base)

Anyone that works in 3D should be acquainted how each of the above commands work and select the one best suited to their needs or the job at hand.

ReMark I am thinking Caddjax is really going to flip out when he plays with viewbase, what do you think? :huh:

For what I do, I still favor Solprof, but the first time you see Viewbase in action, it is pretty mindblowing.

Caddjax, let us know what you think after you check IT out! It is available in 2013.

.... first time you see Viewbase in action, it is pretty mindblowing.

Caddjax, let us know what you think after you check IT out! It is available in 2013.

Caddjax - forget flatshot - that is old school non-associate view creation.

There might be limited use for this and the solx commands, but

as Dadgad suggested - you should investigate Viewbase (no space in the command line command) (especially in r2014 or later).

Caddjax - forget flatshot - that is old school non-associate view creation.

By all means, give VIEWBASE a try, .... you can always fall back on the "old school" tools when/if you discover the bugs and limitations of VIEWBASE ;)