Testing the limits of a computer with AutoCAD features

MrTapir

Ive been given a new computer and told to test it and see if its spec is suitable for us and it has AutoCAD 2014 on it.

Basically I wondered what are some really resource hungry things I can do on it to test how much the computer spec can cope with?

I should say that I dont really use the 3D parts of autoCAD but i imagine that would be more intensive, which is why i put it here.

What are the specs on this new computer?

Have you checked the specs against what AutoDesk has on its website for recommended minimum system requirements?

Cadalyst magazine used to make available a benchmarking program for AutoCAD systems but I'm not sure if it is offered any more.

Its lenovo p300 i5-4570 with 8GB ram, i know the specs will be ok, its more because there is another computer that is a bit higher spec but a bit more expensive which we were originally going to get and then right at the last minute this lenovo has been suggested so I wanted really to test things and see how they actually run and where it might struggle or not.

FWIW -

AutoCAD products, despite being 64-Bit and the advent of Core Console, are still just single-threaded... Until that changes, any moderate to high performance workstation is generally acceptable, depending on the exact nature of one's work (you do Transport?). Never buy the minimum system requirements; double or triple them at minimum.

I am fortunate to work with a beast of a workstation by some standards, I do work in Civil 3D though, and can say that my workstation isn't even enough from time to time (see computer details at left).

for 3D autocad

8gb memory is too little, we must mini 16

Processor with 4 cores this is mainly just for rendering.

You like what graphics card?

Look at my muscular configue I have in my profile to give you an idea and tell you that I can saturate on large 3D projects (but overall I'm very happy of course)

Its lenovo p300 i5-4570 with 8GB ram, i know the specs will be ok, its more because there is another computer that is a bit higher spec but a bit more expensive which we were originally going to get and then right at the last minute this lenovo has been suggested so I wanted really to test things and see how they actually run and where it might struggle or not.

I bought a Lenove with 16GB ram, for about $1000, unfortunately when I bought it I failed to notice that there

was no CAPITALS indicator light, which drives me nuts. The computer is fine, alothough the resolution on that monitor

is not good, expecially compared to my Dell which is outstanding.

Titi thanks for posting that benchmark link, lots of good information there. :)

Edited by Dadgad

A simple Civ3d test we have multiple aerial images pasted along a road with corresponding layouts for each section how fast when jumping between layouts should be say max 1 sec. old pc was wait wait wait wait ok now.

I have 86 civ3d style layouts how quick to jump layouts like above any delay start to question.

Mine simple 64bit I5 8Mb ram. (note intel graphics corporate box) get more ram go 16Gb its so cheap hit a big surface model and grunt required you want to stop paging to disk.

Years ago there was test autocad program did stuff like copy + paste a 100, move erase undo pretty simple but you ended up with a number. Did some basic render also.

Found it at Cadalyst only problem and perhaps Cadtutor modertator can help is that they ask that results not be published without their permission. Perhaps ok if on Cadtutor only

Edited by BIGAL

for 3D autocad

8gb memory is too little, we must mini 16

The OP doesn't do 3D so 16GB of RAM would be a waste of money.

The OP doesn't do 3D so 16GB of RAM would be a waste of money.

Having been tasked with testing it on behalf of his company, rather than expressly for his own personal use,

that may or may not be the case. :|

It is certainly preferable to have more RAM than needed, than too little,

if the modest additional cost is not a deal breaker.

Having been tasked with testing it on behalf of his company, rather than expressly for his own personal use,

that may or may not be the case. :|

It is certainly preferable to have more RAM than needed, than too little,

if the modest additional cost is not a deal breaker.

Except, in this instance the OP is tasked with finding the weak points of the machine at hand, not specifying the needs for a new machine.

Here is the Cadalyst test...http://www.cadalyst.com/benchmark-test

For simple 2D, My 32-bit 4GB machine handles most everything I can throw at it, I have to get into to some really huge files to get it to hang up or crash, generally Aerial Images. I like BIGAL's test for that.

BigAl, thanks I'll try that. Your computer sounds similar spec to the lenovo. Unfortunately it will be 8GB ram and no more - work IT policy. we had to fight hard enough to get 64bit.

The graphics card in the lenovo looks like a K600 which doesnt score very highly in that benchmarking. Although saying that my current one is a Quadro FX1800 which is even lower.

SLW210 thanks for that link/test, very useful.

Edited by MrTapir

Yes For 2D... (and bit)

Sunflower pages for other results

Pro cards are worse on Autocad 3D

I saw them - I work in Civil 3D, which isn't a real 3D environment such as Maya, Max etc. as one might infer from the application's title.

Very little of my work is done in 'real 3D' (Object Viewer on occasion, no rendering for output, etc.), which is why my video card is bangarang, like Skrillex. ;)