Part not showing in Inventor Assembly DWG file?

Lewis C

Hello,

Been a while since I posted on here last.

I have a problem with one of our customer information drawings, it's an inventor drawing file with an assembly model linked to it.

Now in the assembly we have rack card guides for PCBs to slide into, but they are not visible in the DWG file and I cannot work out why?

For some reason they do not have the normal Inventor part symbol, they have this symbol - see image:

Capture.JPG

I'm wondering if this is what is causing it not to show up in the Inventor DWG

Thanks in advance

Lewis.

They are surface bodies, not solid bodies (were they imported from STEP or IGES)?

In any case, the solution is as simple as right mouse button Include Surface Body.

Hi JD,

Yes I think they were originally imported from IGES.

Can you direct me where to click 'Include Surface Body' please because I can't find it, whether in the part file or in the DWG?

Many Thanks!

Right click on the nodes that you have circled in blue.

The parts could probably be solidified if needed (for example if you need the mass of the assembly).

That's where I thought you meant but there is no option for that?

I can see the option in your screen shot? But it is grayed out for some reason. I would need the files to figure out why as I have no motivation to try to reproduce the behavior from scratch.

Can you attach at least one of the surface body ipt files here?

No I figured out a solution, for some reason I have to right click the view representation, then untick 'keep legacy body status'

Not sure why I had to do this though because the drawing used to be fine, it's only since opening in a later version of Inventor this happened!

Thank you, here's the .ipt file

Imported parts like that can be easily converted to solid bodies. (there might even be a set of Options on Import that will do it automatically)

M5700202-Solid.ipt

Something was changed in 2015 behavior with surfaces in drawings, but I do not recall the specifics. (not sure if Updates 1 and 2 revert this back to previous behavior) I always convert my imports to solids.