I cant trim a hatch

Mirjana

Hi,

I have a problem with this file. Whichever hatch I draw I cant trim it. I dont know its about. Please, can someone help me with this? I work in 2007.When I satrt a new drawing its all ok.

A hatch can be associative or not. The associative kind is "associated" with a border that you define by object(s), and you can trim it. The other kind is defined by a pick point, and you cannot trim it. Which kind of hatch are you making?

Not sure why you need to trim a hatch. If the hatch is associative you should be able to move the boundary that it is associated with and it will redraw itself to the new boundary. If you give us more information on what you need to achieve we may be able to help you more.

Dave

It doesnt matter if I makeit associative or not, by selecting an object to hatch, or by picking point. I just got a drawing to work on, and I need sometimes to trim it, to make " holes" in it, that some objects be seen better, like some block etc. I know I can explode but its not the point. There must be something about that drawing what doesnt let to hatch behave on a common way. I tried to find some sistem variables which control it, but I didnt, so I am curious about it.

If you want to put a hole in it you should be able to do this by drawing a circle, then double click the hatch, then use the add: select objects button from the dialogue box, then select your circle. This should save the trimming.

Dave

If you want to put a hole in it you should be able to do this by drawing a circle, then double click the hatch, then use the add: select objects button from the dialogue box, then select your circle. This should save the trimming.

Dave

Thanks,

I didnt think on it. It saves the trimming. But there is something about the drawing, becouse it doesnt let trimming at all. Anyway, thanks I will do as you say.

• 3 years later...

Dave

I tried doing the above instructions... somehow I still can't seem to get a "cut-out" or "hole" in the hatching area that I want. I first created a polyline to describe the bigger area I want hatched, and then I drew a smaller polyline rectangle inside of the bigger area. It keeps filling in my rectangle with hatching and doesn't remove it. When I try pressing different options in the hatching menu, it keeps telling me that my rectangle is not an island... Any help on this is greatly appreciated... Thanks.

Hit that little arrow at the bottom right corner of the hatch dialog box to expand to advanced options and turn on island detection, then make sure it is not set to IGNORE. That set of options is there so you can fill in across a large area with smaller objects inside it that may be "Under" the hatch by ignoring them, or leave them unhatched as 'islands' without having to select each one as a boundary object.

AND when I try to tell it to "pick points" for hatching area it freezes up... so strange...

It may be drawing a very deep breath to calculate all the geometry for a hatch pattern that is way way too dense and way way too small of a scale. It could take quite a while to generate some hatches under certain conditions.

I learned the hard way not to hatch a 12 acre parcel of land drawn at full size with ARSAND at 1.000 scale.:ouch: Even the hover highlight took several minutes.:o

Thanks for the tip! I went and checked to make sure that box was checked and that it is set to "normal" and that was fine.... so I again tried to do the instructions from previous, and it worked! I have no idea what I did differently... but thank you for your help.

Thanks for the tip! I went and checked to make sure that box was checked and that it is set to "normal" and that was fine.... so I again tried to do the instructions from previous, and it worked! I have no idea what I did differently... but thank you for your help.

It is entirely possible that your first set of objects may not have been on the same plane, that is not parallel, or offset a bit in the 'z' direction. Hatch only fills in the plane defined by your borders. If an island is below that plane, it'll be missed.

I use 2009 LT that does not have a "Z" axis. I never have to think about whether I am in 2D or 3D modelspace and my stuff is Always flat-smack-dabb on the same plane.

Edited by Dana W

• 4 years later...
A hatch can be associative or not. The associative kind is "associated" with a border that you define by object(s), and you can trim it. The other kind is defined by a pick point, and you cannot trim it. Which kind of hatch are you making?

Very helpfull thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

my trim command (TR) inst working properly. I just recently went from using AutoCAD 2015 to using 2016 and some how it has quit. I have went through the blogs and I have tried the suggestions: change your shademode, change your pickadd, your edgemode.. nothing happens. when using the command or the icon it gives me an Select objects or select all>: i pick and then it gives me fence crossing pro edge erase or undo.. usually i don’t go through those. I hit tr to trim, right click the mouse and cutout what i want… ITS NOT WORKING!!!!!! all i see where the cursor used to be is a circle with a line through it (like those no smoking signs you see everywhere). Help me try and figure this out please