+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Quantum Mechanic ReMark's Avatar
    Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Norwalk, CT USofA
    Posts
    46,375

    Default

    Registered forum members do not see this ad.

    I'm not sure why you needed to go through all that trouble (trimming and erasing). I was able to create boundaries for probably 2/3rds of the drawing simply using the Boundary command.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

    Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

    I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

  2. #22
    Full Member
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2011
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Experience vs. inexperience

  3. #23
    Quantum Mechanic ReMark's Avatar
    Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Norwalk, CT USofA
    Posts
    46,375

    Default

    You should always try to avoid making more work for yourself than necessary.

    Did you finish the task?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

    Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

    I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

  4. #24
    Full Member
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2011
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    87

    Default

    I'm working on it. A good way to gain experience in the way things SHOULD be done.

    I edited the other posts I made to remove the drawings I originally posted. There was other information in those drawings I didn't notice at the time that I posted and I wanted to edit that information out.

    The drawing attached to this post has the original edited file attached showing the hatch problem described in the first post.

    Another novice mistake; my apologies for the confusion.
    Attached Files

  5. #25
    Full Member
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2011
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Got it done. Started from the beginning. First did what ReMark suggested for all closed islands. I then followed Dana's suggestion of drawing the missing borders with a polyline and apparent intersections. I then locked the 2 layers and erased everything. Looks good I think. No major trim and erase job like I had going at first. It all made better sense this morning compared to yesterday afternoon.

  6. #26
    Forum Deity Dana W's Avatar
    Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oviedo, Florida
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik&Easy View Post
    Got it done. Started from the beginning. First did what ReMark suggested for all closed islands. I then followed Dana's suggestion of drawing the missing borders with a polyline and apparent intersections. I then locked the 2 layers and erased everything. Looks good I think. No major trim and erase job like I had going at first. It all made better sense this morning compared to yesterday afternoon.
    How did Boundary not work for you. I did it in about 30 seconds that way, but I did not replace the missing hatch border nor erase the fold lines first.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

  7. #27
    Full Member
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2011
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    87

    Default

    When using "boundary" in the blank spots, I got a message on many of those that " a closed border could not be determined" or something along those lines. Those were the ones that I drew a polyline along where the edge of the hatch was, zooming and picking as near to the end of the hatch line as I could. This is an artistic part and near enough will certainly be close enough in this instance. I'd guess that 70% of the openings were closed but the other 30% needed tweaking. Funny thing is I just downloaded and opened the drawing posted above here at home and only got the message once. And I did it very quickly, too.

  8. #28
    Forum Deity Dana W's Avatar
    Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oviedo, Florida
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Registered forum members do not see this ad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik&Easy View Post
    When using "boundary" in the blank spots, I got a message on many of those that " a closed border could not be determined" or something along those lines. Those were the ones that I drew a polyline along where the edge of the hatch was, zooming and picking as near to the end of the hatch line as I could. This is an artistic part and near enough will certainly be close enough in this instance. I'd guess that 70% of the openings were closed but the other 30% needed tweaking. Funny thing is I just downloaded and opened the drawing posted above here at home and only got the message once. And I did it very quickly, too.
    Yeah, there were a few with issues. I thought the way it read that you had not used Boundary. Glad you got it worked out.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Similar Threads

  1. Sum of Hatched Areas
    By woodman78 in forum AutoLISP, Visual LISP & DCL
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th Sep 2010, 01:38 pm
  2. Display text box on top of a hatched object
    By EngTech in forum AutoCAD Beginners' Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st Sep 2009, 09:32 am
  3. Trimming hatched areas
    By matt4 in forum AutoCAD Beginners' Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd Apr 2009, 04:33 pm
  4. Drawing with a Closed / Hatched Polyline
    By Richard Martin in forum AutoLISP, Visual LISP & DCL
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th Jun 2005, 09:49 am
  5. Altering Hatched Text
    By hyposmurf in forum AutoCAD General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd Mar 2003, 10:02 pm

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts