How to edit these hatched areas

I'm not sure why you needed to go through all that trouble (trimming and erasing). I was able to create boundaries for probably 2/3rds of the drawing simply using the Boundary command.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Quik&Easy

• Dana W

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm working on it. A good way to gain experience in the way things SHOULD be done.

I edited the other posts I made to remove the drawings I originally posted. There was other information in those drawings I didn't notice at the time that I posted and I wanted to edit that information out.

The drawing attached to this post has the original edited file attached showing the hatch problem described in the first post.

Another novice mistake; my apologies for the confusion.

forum help_A.dwg

Got it done. Started from the beginning. First did what ReMark suggested for all closed islands. I then followed Dana's suggestion of drawing the missing borders with a polyline and apparent intersections. I then locked the 2 layers and erased everything. Looks good I think. No major trim and erase job like I had going at first. It all made better sense this morning compared to yesterday afternoon.

Got it done. Started from the beginning. First did what ReMark suggested for all closed islands. I then followed Dana's suggestion of drawing the missing borders with a polyline and apparent intersections. I then locked the 2 layers and erased everything. Looks good I think. No major trim and erase job like I had going at first. It all made better sense this morning compared to yesterday afternoon.
How did Boundary not work for you. I did it in about 30 seconds that way, but I did not replace the missing hatch border nor erase the fold lines first.

When using "boundary" in the blank spots, I got a message on many of those that " a closed border could not be determined" or something along those lines. Those were the ones that I drew a polyline along where the edge of the hatch was, zooming and picking as near to the end of the hatch line as I could. This is an artistic part and near enough will certainly be close enough in this instance. I'd guess that 70% of the openings were closed but the other 30% needed tweaking. Funny thing is I just downloaded and opened the drawing posted above here at home and only got the message once. And I did it very quickly, too.

When using "boundary" in the blank spots, I got a message on many of those that " a closed border could not be determined" or something along those lines. Those were the ones that I drew a polyline along where the edge of the hatch was, zooming and picking as near to the end of the hatch line as I could. This is an artistic part and near enough will certainly be close enough in this instance. I'd guess that 70% of the openings were closed but the other 30% needed tweaking. Funny thing is I just downloaded and opened the drawing posted above here at home and only got the message once. And I did it very quickly, too.
Yeah, there were a few with issues. I thought the way it read that you had not used Boundary. Glad you got it worked out.