How to edit these hatched areas

Attached is a DWG with a flat template that will be cut and then bent to shape. The idea is to cut the negative spaces surrounded by the hatched areas. I understand what needs to be done and what I need for a final design however.....

the negative space don't seem to have a pick point at the intersection of the hatched areas. As a novice, I don't know what technique might have created this design thus I don't understand how to get the negative spaces as shapes with vertices. I cannot get my cursor to pick on any interior intersection, as though the hatch areas don't actually exist.

Can anyone explain how I should go about picking and outlining the desired areas? All the hatched areas could go away, I only am concerned with the perimeter and the many small negative spaces.

Edited by Quik&Easy
had other info I didn't mean to post publicly

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Quik&Easy

• Dana W

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think part of the problem is my generic graphic card getting overwhelmed by the hatch's themselves. I'm picking each hatch and making it solid in hopes that it will lighten the load. With LT, I may not have the best solution for the problem regardless. I've never used the boundary command; I'll see if it will help. Thanks for taking a look so quickly.

Edit: I've also tried surrounding the negative space with a circle and trimming to the edge of the circle but thats not working at all.

I posted while you were. I see you're getting some spaces; do they match up if you overlay? In the upper left corner you have 2 that are touching but I don't think they are supposed to.

Can anyone explain how I should go about picking and outlining the desired areas? All the hatched areas could go away, I only am concerned with the perimeter and the many small negative spaces.

Would the Boundary command work?

I tried and had some success but it wasn't 100%.

Boundary can work if you are only concerned with the void areas. Just type Boundary, then click internally in the void area. A polyline will be drawn around the void area. There may be one or two areas that might not have surrounding geometry that is completely touching, but for those you can probably draw a polyline boundary around them if you have apparent intersection as one of your snap points enabled.

Your cyan colors don't have boundaries according to the error message I get. Are all these voids on one plane? Is the any 3D in this drawing? I should probably pick and copy the perimeter and the islands off to one side and see what that looks like.

There are issues in the boundary command caused by the dashed bend lines around the perimeter of what I guess is the bottom of the "box". This causes some "two piece" void areas.

Another issue is that somebody deleted the left side boundary line from one of the hatched stripes. That is the one that runs all the way from the left uppermost corner to the right lowermost corner. The missing line causes the boundary to be drawn up to the next closest line, which is of course on the wrong side of the hatched stripe.

The issue of the fold lines can be solved simply. Just erase them, and put them back after the boundaries are all drawn.

Make a new layer called Boundaries or something, and set it to a contrasting color like RED so you can see what is happening, and make that layer current while you execute the boundary command.

Red objects were created using the Boundary command.

Cyan objects were created using the 3DPolyline command.

Yes, my drawing contains 3D objects called "solids".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50206[/ATTACH]

Corrected a few errors and added the final piece to the puzzle.

I'm done.

There are a couple of spots where the missing original hatch boundary line is giving you intrusions into that particular hatched stripe.

There are a couple of spots where the missing original hatch boundary line is giving you intrusions into that particular hatched stripe.
I'm out for now. We are overlapping posts so I will bow to ReMark's vast experience.

The point of the exercise wasn't accuracy. The point was demonstrate to the OP that there was a way to ascertain the negative areas. I'll leave the accuracy to the OP since it's his drawing.

I would recommend slecting each hatch, right click, go the the hatch option and generate boundary. This will ensure that there is a boundary around each hatch.

The point of the exercise wasn't accuracy. The point was demonstrate to the OP that there was a way to ascertain the negative areas. I'll leave the accuracy to the OP since it's his drawing.
Of course. I should have directed my comments directly to the OP so the issues they face would be known.;)

The "generate boundaries" is helpful. I put a circle in contrasting color in each void because when I started erasing hatches and lines I confused myself. Now it seems to be an exercise in trimming and erasing. I hope that I will be able to flatten each void at the end since ReMark mentions that there are 3D entities in this drawing.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Edited by Quik&Easy

The 3D entities I mentioned were the ones I created. If there were 3D entities in the original drawing I did not bother to look. I assumed you were unable to make picks because of inconsistencies in the drawing so I immediately exploded and flattened the drawing. I then worked with a copy of those results.

Thanks for the explanation on the 3D comment. Currently, I'm still trimming and erasing. I seem to finding lots of overlapping lines but I'll get it thanks to the info offered here. It's time for a bit of attitude adjustment and I have the client coming over to drop off material for the project and I'll show him what has been required from the drawing his guy provided.

Have a nice weekend, folks. Thanks again for the help.