Associatively projecting sketch to the assembly level

Enfiel3D

Greetings all!

I'm exploring ways I could use Inventor for the top-down modeling.

The simpliest scenario - assembly without machining at the assembly level - is really smooth and positive.

But in the harder one - assembly machined at the assembly level - I found certain difficulty.

In the proper top-down strategy everything should be defined at the top (conceptual) level. This includes sketches for the subsequent subtraction of material from the bodies in the assembly. At this point I found that I can't associatively project sketch contained in the parts outside of the assembly to the sketch in the assembly. Projection is possible, but it is not associative. Is this as designed, or am I doing something wrong?

So far I found one curious workaround. At the top level I define the sketch for the material extraction from the product assembly, and make boundary patch from it. Then I derive this boundary patch to one of the piece parts that will be inserted into the product assembly. That way when I project edges of this boundary patch into the sketch at the product assembly level, they are associative.

Is there a direct way to associately project sketch outside of the assembly into the sketch at the assembly level?

Are you really going to machine parts after assembly? (in the real world, and example might be several parts welded together and then post-weld machining) (match-machining is another example)

There are a couple of techniques you might use, but first I want to understand the true design intent.

Hello JD!

Yes, I am going to machine parts after assembly. Yes, likely they will be welded parts - although that is not necessary. I came across some scenarios in real life when parts were not welded together but still were machined together, held in a fixture.

So basically the deisgn intent is to put some parts together in an assembly, and after that machine them. Sketches that control the machining shape are to come from outside of this particular assemblly.

Would welcome the ideas!