Polar tracking problem

Hi,

I've always used polar tracking instead of ortho mode where possible, but just recently I've noticed that it seems to be a bit 'off' when drawing verticle lines. I first noticed this issue a few days ago when I offset a horizontal line but the extreme right verticle line would not trim. When I zoomed right in, the lines were not touching.

I made a few tests by drawing 6 verticle lines, 2 each at 1000, 2000 and 3000 units in length, using polar tracking of course. I looked at the co-ordinates of all the lines vertices and the X values did not match, indicating a diagonal line, albeit very slight. However, when I compared these X values I noticed that for every 1000 units the difference was between the vertices increased by 0.11 units, which seemed a bit uniform and something was at fault for these fluctuations.

I also drew some lines with ortho mode activated and the lines were perfectly straight.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas as to why this may occur?

Is there a 'fix' or some things I can check?

Could it be a bug (although this has never happened to me until recently)?

I know the difference is negligible, but at the same time it's bugging me a little bit.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SAFeSTeR
Problem solved

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SAFeSTeR

• RobDraw

• Dadgad

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you checked your settings to see if there is a small additional angle that might be getting tracked?

BTW, I tested here and all my lines are perfectly aligned to the angle as expected.

Have you checked your settings to see if there is a small additional angle that might be getting tracked?

Thanks for the reply.

Which settings do you mean? If it's the units / direction settings, then yes these are fine (no 'other' angles have been added).

Are there any other settings you had in mind?

Nope, just wanted you to check those.

Where are you in the drawing in relation to (0,0)? Being extremely far away can cause these slight errors.

Yes 0,0, but I wouldn't say I was extremely far away. In fact I just made some tests closer to and at 0,0 and I'm getting the same results.

Could it be anything to do with the UCS? Although I have never changed the default settings, I did 'reset' to world and then origin (but I'm not that familiar with UCS settings), but it still didn't solve anything.

I can't see any reason at the moment, strange thing is if I draw a polyline myself it's fine, but if I try using the base of one of your polylines as the starting point it is also drawn wonky

Strange indeed. Maybe the problem lies within a system setting of mine or is a bug with my install and which is not transferred with actual files.

Anyway, thanks for trying, guess I'll have to revert to using ortho mode from now on.

. . . . but if I try using the base of one of your polylines as the starting point it is also drawn wonky

Is your Polar Angle measurement option set to 'Relative to last segment'?

Have you looked at the Polar Tracking tab, to make sure it is set to Absolute, instead of Relative?

Whoops, SEANT has visited while I was checking your drawing out! :beer:

polar tracking settings.JPG

I think I've figured out what is happening.

The polylines are not parallel to the Y axis. They are off by .00063138. Each pair is equal in length and parallel to all the other lines.

I think if your tracking is set to "Relative to last segment", you will get what you have here.

The problem is in the initial polyline. If it were drawn parallel to the Y axis, the subsequent lines would give you the expected result.

Lines.PNG

Thanks SEANT and Dadgad.

While you were posting your image I was already looking into SEANT's advice and discovered the problem. Although it was found where you both suggested, it was not related to either 'Absolute' or 'Relative to last segment'. It was in fact something to do with the Increment Angle not being set to a whole number (see image).

Don't ask me how this got changed :?

Thanks all for your help :beer:

PolarTrackingSolution.png

And you missed that when you checked for additional angles? I couldn't have gotten you any closer with my first response.

Yes I know, I'm sorry, but I only checked my unit angles at that time as I thought this was what you meant. I had forgotten about these other polar tracking options (or think I confused them with the units settings) and did ask if you had any other settings in mind.

Sorry for wasting your time :oops:

and did ask if you had any other settings in mind.

Sorry, I didn't tell you to check that one right next to the one I thought might be the culprit. I guess that old saying is true. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Is your Polar Angle Measurement set to absolute?

Good thought AJ, but I am afraid your're beating a dead horse, check out post #15, NEXT

CASE? :beer: