Creating Electrical Enclosures layout with Excel

cadmando2

I been trying to search on line how to create an excel spread sheet that allows to define the layout for electrical enclosures.

I have been told that you can create a drawing in about 10 seconds that would normally take 4-5 hours.

I want to know how.

My boss creates an excel spread sheet for the PLC I/0 modules and trying to see how to modify them to create modules schematic layout if possible to.

I use a excel spread sheet to update my title blocks so trying to use attributes , so I know there is a way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?:)

I been trying to search on line how to create an excel spread sheet that allows to define the layout for electrical enclosures.

I have been told that you can create a drawing in about 10 seconds that would normally take 4-5 hours.

I want to know how.

My boss creates an excel spread sheet for the PLC I/0 modules and trying to see how to modify them to create modules schematic layout if possible to.

I use a excel spread sheet to update my title blocks so trying to use attributes , so I know there is a way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?:)

1st up I am not electrical savvy What their talking about is using excel to create a script of commands and draw objects. The example below is to draw a line. To make any real comment need two things Autocad Dwg and excel, image or files that clearly shows the links between the two

excelline.jpg

You are right I know something I did about 20mins manually now 3 seconds.

For starters you must use the Spreadsheet to PLC I/O Utility command found in AutoCAD Electrical on the Import/Export Data tab > Import panel. The command prompt is aess2plc.

What is the difference if you are using a scripts file and using a Excel file?

I use Hoffman enclosures and back panels, that I use!

I just trying to get familiar with using excel in terms of inserting I/O modules and its info filled out.

Did they also tell you that it could take a week to write the script, it depends on what you are using it for, I use Excel to to produce scripts for drawing cabinets, it even outputs to a ???.scr file, but it's better just to copy the results and paste directly onto the Autocad command line, the cabinet size is driven with just 3 values height width and depth. BUT it will only draw the same design, if you need a small design change it could take hours to make the changes in Excel as opposed to minutes in Autocad.

For standard items that may just need a few variables changing it's great (but dynamic blocks maybe better).

I have to add it's nice to see a drawing appear before your eyes at the click of a button

Ya I got it. Trying to do to many things at once, jugging work flow and learning AutoCAD Electrical on the fly. little different from just AutoCAD is self. My boss set me up with laptop now with AutoCAD electrical so that I can take home to learn. Though I didn't get enough sleep before!

Thanks guys for the help.

Now I need to get back to learning Soildworks and masterCAM! got a lot on my plate!!!!!