My BIM Vision - Does it Exist?

David_Feynman

It seems clear to me that BIM, where a CAD file represents not only the appearance and dimensions of a structure, but also all the actual data about the structure represents the future of nearly all CAD.

But right now that file, let's imagine it's a file that represents the construction of a large residential estate, seems to end up being a silo of information that is not truly connected to any other software that will be use to deliver/fulfill that project. As an example, does what I describe below exist with any integrations netween software vendors:

1. The BIM should define all the deliverables by phase (takeoff?).

2. The deliverables would in turn transfer to a project management program with a work breakdown structure. Ideally the BIM program and the project managment program would bidirectionally sync. If a change was made in one it would be reflected in the other. For instance, as deliverables are marked completed in the project management program, the BIM file would also display which items are complete. if a change request is made it might be logged in the project management program, updated in the BIM file, which would in turn add a new deliverable in the project management file. It would all be "connected".

3. All of this could also tie in to the accounting side of things, for instance the materials required (takeoffs?) could be automatically transferred to purchase orders, eliminating a vast amount of dual entry.

4. As the project is nearing completion punch list items could be generated/marked up using the BIM file. Again, these would seamlessly flow through to the project management program as tasks that need to be completed.

What software vendors if any are close to offering something like this? Perhaps something that creates a bridge between something like Revit and project management and ERP software? I've seen some like Newforma but they still seem a long way from it. The video on this page shows the closest I've seen:

http://www.cideon.com/site/d/en/software/cad-integration-fuer-sap-plm/autocad-mechanical/index.php

Is the vision above closer than i think or am aware of or is it a long way off? Are there any vendors I can look at that are already offering something like this? Or software bridges exist that allows sync between BIM and outside databases/programs?

Thanks

In theory it's definitely possible. There are two huge drawbacks... #1 = time consumption, #2 = everyone being on board. There are programs out there that are phenomenal, such as Assemble for information, estimating and pricing and Synchro for 4D scheduling and construction management, but it falls apart when one person or one team or one company isn't utilizing BIM to the fullest.

Start with the architectural engineering consulting team. Anytime you have a design/bid/build combo you're already at a loss, because the design team gets paid to design - nothing more. That design then gets sold to the construction team who has to interpret their design, which usually is very lacking in terms of true construction, and rely on subs to provide "shop drawings" which takes the design and puts it closer to true fabrication. Then subs have to get quotes from various vendors that only send submittal info on spec'd items, not BIM models, so they're stuck building these objects in 3D and apply the information to it. So there's too many disconnects in the process, and I've only scratched the surface.

However, if an architectural team gets "paid" to model all the details and apply all the specified information in the model to begin with, and hire contractors with an engineering department that can depend on vendors to supply information-rich BIM models completed with itemized costs on items they spec, now that's when you start having some real use of "BIM-phoria". This is design/build as opposed to design/bid/build, which is where it needs to be.

• 2 years later...