3D Section help

MinaRAI

How can I perform a section using 4 points? Or better yet how can I section the exercise drawing showing the same section view? Please images attached.

The guide I've attached with the picture gave a different result....The section plane looks wrong there...Is it because of the UCS or I have just clicked on the wrong points...?

Can someone look at it please.

I managed to do a section using 2 points. See below. Although I managed to do it, can you guys check if it's correct..?

What may be the best procedure on how to create section views in 3D..?

jDSTEsG.png

csOaPzZ.png

w7tl5gU.png

PS:

You may see that there are more grooves in my drawing, different from the original exercise drawing. I was just experimenting and added more grooves. :)

Check out the following link for some usefull info on Section Planes.

http://www.dscohn.com/AU/handouts/AU122-2%20-%20Back%20to%20Flat%20-%20Producing%202D%20Output%20from%203D%20Models.pdf

Also, at a quick guess, I believe you are using the 4th point to specify the direction of the solid you want to keep visible. Instead, your 4th point is a continuation of the jogged section plane, so your model is also being sectioned between point 3 and 4, and that's why you are seeing a thin slice of material.

SectionalSlice.jpg

Another approach using the SLICE command with the Surface option.

Note that the 3D model is only loosely based on your drawing. This was for demonstration purposes only.

@Denimoth,

Thanks very much for the link. I am checking out now :)

@Remark,

Thanks for the demo view. I will try that out later and will be back here to report again.

Hi,

I encountered some difficulty with performing the slice comand with surface or using 3 points. I managed to do it in two parts via 2 points, both using the slice command. Please see images below.

K8zqHpr.png

m1qDI30.png

GmaRHYO.png

nx26SIJ.png

tBIfKYK.png

JPjVAOU.png

I still do not know how to use the Section command to do the kind of section with the said exercise drawing using the instructions given....

In addition I can't do a 3-point slice also...the result still shows the same as that of what I do with 2-points. Can someone help me where to place the points correctly when using Slice > 3 points?

Plus I am completely blank as to how I can use a Slice > Surface..I do not know what to select or how I can select a specified surface :( As of the moment I cannot find any tutorial with using the slice>surface...that is the same also with the section>3points. I had seen an ebook --- Acad 2010 Bible by Ellen Filkenstein but the sample there the same as cutting the object in half only (pages 798 - 803). The slice example there shows 4 points to slice the example. Why 4 points when you can slice that in two-points...? I may be understanding it wrong also....

6YS1d8D.png

As explain it Remark, section by surface, it's the best way to slice your object. To make work, you have to create one polyline and use extrude to create one surface. See image

slice-surface.jpg