inserted PDF always slows it down

kizaerf

will there ever be a day where inserting a pdf underlay into autocad doesn't slow it down or am I doing something wrong? I would rather not degrade the quality and make it a jpg

PDFs inserted into AutoCAD cause performance issues. I would think that a proper conversion to another format would not cause any degradation. Maybe try .png?

True Rob but if it is a vector PDF you will have the ability to use object snapping. I would always try to use a vector file as opposed to a raster file. Now if the PDF is a scanned PDF then it is not a vector then it is not an issue to use a png format.

I have a mid level workstation and cannot work effectively with the performance hit.

Is it still an issue with high end machines?

I can try maybe later today. I am still in the process of moving all my files over to new machine and installing CAD software.

I like the PDF attach feature because as you said, the object snapping thing, generally cleaner lines than it's png or jpg counterpart, it's white on black, and it doesn't disappear when you 'pan' as do other image types. There are many clear advantages to the PDF as opposed to other file types. The overall point is that being such a valuable key feature of CAD to be able to do this, there shouldn't even be a degradation of performance. And to answer your question, RobDraw, I have a high level workstation and it's an issue and I cannot work effectively with the performance hit either, sadly.

Well I just tried on my new box with Acad 2015 and a PDF inserted and it is not noticeable at all. All but fluid in the screen redraws. This is one area where multi-threaded cpus come into play. I am using a hyper-threaded quad core i7 so I have 8 core to use.

hmm. I have a 14gb 64-bit OS and an AMD Athlon™ II X2 B26 Processor 3.20GHz whatever any of that means.... and windows 7. Maybe you could help.

Well to be honest kizaerf you don't have a high end workstation or you don't by today's standards. An Athlon II X2 is an older low end cpu with only 2 cores. Unfortunately this is where more cores make a difference in AutoCAD (2d redraws). Using PDFs in Autocad on my old Xeon based system slows it down to a snail's pace. I have the 4 core version of the Athlon II in my home box. It's not a bad unit just not high end.

I would just use the clip command to isolate the areas that you need.

Sean

haha sweet - well it's my work computer and I just assumed it was 'high end' cause the one before was just awful! again, not even familiar! lol Good to know though. thanks!

Yeah not much help but I'd still rather use a PDF as opposed to a raster (png, jpg, etc) file. Just put the PDF on a layer that you can freeze and thaw as needed. This way when frozen it won't be redrawn by the system. Good luck :)

Sean

• 11 months later...

This is the best method that I could come up with....

DO NOT pdfattach the PDF file into the actual dwg you are working in.

Set up a new dwg which contains only the pdf attached in the correct location. THEN xref that dwg (with the PDF) into your dwg that requires the PDF underlay and you can trace the linework - There is no lag and it runs very smoothly.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

@tplight

I know this thread has been mothballed for years but just wanted to say I found this tip super useful, thank you so much!

I've been wanting to find a solution to the PDF problem for ages!