Loading Lisp routines into AutoCAD 2013, Best Practice

muck

My lisp routines is slowing down network version AutoCAD 2013.

In the past I have placed all my routines in a folder on my C drive. Then I would map

it to AutoCAD under "Support File Search Path". My network administer has found

that this is slowing down AutoCAD loading.

So new I need to clean up things and properly load necessary routines without slowing

CAD. In the good old days lisp loading was controlled by Acad.lsp but I think

things have change.

So What is the best way load my routines without slowing cad?

Thank you,

My lisp routines is slowing down network version AutoCAD 2013.

In the past I have placed all my routines in a folder on my C drive. Then I would map

it to AutoCAD under "Support File Search Path". My network administer has found

that this is slowing down AutoCAD loading.

So new I need to clean up things and properly load necessary routines without slowing

CAD. In the good old days lisp loading was controlled by Acad.lsp but I think

things have change.

So What is the best way load my routines without slowing cad?

Thank you,

Firstly, while I understand that you've arrived at this issue whilst gearing up for your new .NET development venture, technically speaking, this is a LISP forum thread.

In any event, a few things that have served me well, are to demand-load all customizations that you can... Obviously, if a custom routine requires some sort of initialization at session start (Acad.lsp), or drawing open (AcadDoc.lsp), then so be it. However, if you can implement demand-loading via AUTOLOAD, etc. for your LISP then do so.

The Autoloader mechanism has become a particularly useful tool in my production work, and for Exchange Apps Store... I use it daily to load my customizations, including LISP, .NET, CUIx, etc.

HTH

I think my lisp routine folder is causing the slow down.

Not my Net Venture. This something I need to deal with before my

get back to Net.

These lisp routines were written years ago and I don't remember what

everything I did in that folder. It has been too long but I know I have lisp routines that

call up other lisp routines within that folder. That is why I put them in a AutoCAD support

folder. If a routine called another routine AutoCAD know it was in that folder.

I guess AutoCAD searches files in that folder during loading and that is slowing my load time.

So now I am trying to find a easy work a round without going through things.

Thank you,

I think my lisp routine folder is causing the slow down. Not my Net Venture. This something I need to deal with before my get back to Net.

Thanks for confirming that this thread belongs in LISP forum instead of .NET forum.

These lisp routines were written years ago and I don't remember what everything I did in that folder. It has been too long but I know I have lisp routines that

call up other lisp routines within that folder. That is why I put them in a AutoCAD support folder. If a routine called another routine AutoCAD know it was in that folder.

I guess AutoCAD searches files in that folder during loading and that is slowing my load time. So now I am trying to find a easy work a round without going through things.

I highly doubt that searching SFSP is what is slowing down your startup/drawing open.

Start AutoCAD via the default (unaltered) Profile to compare... Then load your custom Profile which loads your code... If/when you confirm, consider demand-loading your code instead.

Cheers

Is there a way to move this thread to the Lisp Forum?

If I were a moderator here at CADTutor too, then it would have been moved already... Otherwise, a moderator will be along soon enough to do same.

Cheers

Is AutoCAD Autoloader mechanism an Autodesk plug-in that is download like VBA or is it something

that a person has to buy?

Thank you,

Thread moved to AutoLISP, Visual LISP & DCL Forum.

Thank you, Sir.

Is AutoCAD Autoloader mechanism an Autodesk plug-in that is download like VBA or is it something that a person has to buy?

The Autoloader mechanism is built-into Autodesk products since 2012... You can use this yourself, or internally at work for customizations, and can even download 'apps' from Autodesk Exchange Apps Store (some free, some paid).

Autoloader uses a .bundle format, which works in both PC & Mac... It may seem overwhelming at first, being new, but is really quite simple and even elegant once you come to understand how it works. Autoloader, not without its trade-offs, does a great job of automagically loading the appropriate components into each version of AutoCAD, etc. without any configuring of Acad.lsp, AcadDoc.lsp, CUIx, or Startup Suite, etc.

See links in my signature for more information.

HTH

How do I get to your signature

to See links in my signature for more information?

Thank you,

I'm confused... Can you not see the text that is displayed at the bottom of each-and-every-single post I've made in this thread (aka signature)? :unsure:

Select "Settings" at top right, then select "General Settings" scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and select "Show Signatures".

Thanks for this; I didn't even know that was an option, as signatures have been displayed since I first became a member here. :beer:

Cheers