Is it possible?? Convert DWG format (2D) to Inventor (.ipt) format?

Sengna

This may sounds other way around, but i was wondering if i have 2D autocad drawing and i want to somehow convert that to inventor .IPT format. i am just curious to know. Thanks for any suggestion.

Are you looking for some sort of automagical Easy Button, or simply a way to bring 2D geometry into Inventor sketches to use to generate 3D?

It is fairly easy to bring AutoCAD 2D into Inventor ipt and there is (was?) a labs tool to automate the process, but most Inventor users recommend you use this as an opportunity to learn Inventor techniques and have little trust in AutoCAD geometry unless they created it themselves.

Attach a sample dwg file here for instructions.

I can draw an object inventor and extude it afterward but what about if i already have it in drawn in autocad, can i import and extrude it? I noticed there is ACAD tool in sketch environment in inventor but when i inserted it, it shows just a single line, not a profile.

Isn't an .ipt file a 3D part? Are you sure you mean a 2D AutoCAD .dwg file?

I know it can be done using a 3D AutoCAD drawing.

yes, .Ipt file is 3D modeling. but if i only have 2D autocad, it am sure if it can be converted.

I can draw an object inventor and extude it afterward but what about if i already have it in drawn in autocad, can i import and extrude it? I noticed there is ACAD tool in sketch environment in inventor but when i inserted it, it shows just a single line, not a profile.

Yes you can import the Autocad drawing into Inventor and extrude it. quick way is to copy and paste it into a sketch. If the autocad drawing is not drawn correctly you will not be able to extrude it. Best sketch it from scratch in Inventor it will save you from having problems later in the design and sometimes it is quicker to just sketch it in Inventor.

.....what about if i already have it in drawn in autocad, can i import and extrude it?.....

Attach example dwg file here. There are at least 3 ways to do this.

If you Open, be sure to set Options to Import.

Attach example dwg file here. There are at least 3 ways to do this.

If you Open, be sure to set Options to Import.

let say i want to extrude this 5' long

EQ1.dwg

I would explain how to File>Open AutoCAD *.dwg with Options set to Import

you mentioned options set to import, Did you mean i need to go to setting like below?

i will read through your Lesson. I have been away from inventor study more than a month now. i am back. thanks JD

import.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know this is old but I need to let you know IT IS POSSIBLE to convert a 2D dwg to a 3D .ipt

There is a good example. And actually in inventor tutorial/help there is also a similar video (sorry I couldnt find that one). Inventor is smart enough to figure out the dimensions, you just have to map the planes in inventor to the faces in the dwg file. hope that helps