To all CAD LISP Kings

suryacad

Hi Guys.

Found this amazing LISP by Lee Mac Called Text to Words

It Basically converts a selection of single-line text objects into separate text objects for every word in the selection based on justification setting.

on the same lines it would be immensely helpful to a lot of People if Some of the LISP tools were available. which iam going to discuss below.

KG6fUS.jpg

Now if one wants to extract dimensions form a drawing. But as you see the dimensions are mentioned in a single line, in almost all cases people mention it with no spaces, Now to extract dimensions alone would be impossible unless manually tabulated,So would want to break the single line in to individual text objects based on TEXT,NUMBER,SPECIAL CHARACTER properties so that the numbers as a whole can be extracted 340,230,700 as highlighted. a LISP to filter TEXT,NUMBER,SPECIAL CHARACTER also would be required to make some good out of the whole exercise. it would really help lots of people who want to extract info out of a drawing in any which way if these LISPS were around.

Any Help i highly Appreciated.

Thank you All.

it would really help lots of people
I dont want to burst your bubble but how many people ? We never do that Civil & surveying. If you post your exact requirement I am sure someone can help.

Hi BIGAL. it is not Civil and Surveying. Surveying is a part of Civil. there are two types of surveying. i guess you are referring to Topographic Survey,if yes i agree these are not required for topo survey mainly Coordinates are vital.

if you have heard something called Quantity Surveying it mainly deals with quantity and estimates. if any body has done quantity take off would know how tough it is to manually look into the Hard copies, log the entry in excel sheet and strike off the recorded entry for thousands of members comprising of beams, columns, footings ect.. it is being done the same way even today.

After Seeing Lee Mac's LISP Text to word i thought there are possibilities that any information can be extracted from drawings if there were lisps which gave options to extract required information.

Dont you agree if one break the single line in to individual text object and filter out just Numbers,Alphabets and Special character separately would give a lot of control to any body to use the LISPs in any way they want?

And my Friend is it wrong if iam facing a problem which i know many do and i posted a request for very unusual way i would say Mad thinking after one understands the possibilities of LISP's to which i was introduced to here on this forum for the very first time by DADGAD in my first post.

Request simplified

1. LISP that can break the single line into Numbers as a whole, Alphabets and special character

2. LISP to Filter Alphabets,Number & Special Character separately.

Hoping some one would pick this up.

Thanks again.

Hi Tyke.

Iam aware of BIM and it does many things but it is has long way to go before accepted as market standard like Autocad. Many still use 2d the old ways of doing things and Autocad is their best friend.

I fact there is already a product by Autodesk called Quantity takeoff which is made to serve exactly what iam looking for. but still its is about collaboration with people in the market, I dont know anybody who uses it.and i am talking of leading companies and consultants.

Autodesk Revit is such a robust product which does a bunch of stuff. at first look itself people should migrate to Revit form Autocad in the construction industry.but still it is going to be a very very slow transition.

There are many Products that do many things, But iam requesting for these LISPS what i think will help to break up a drawing and make the best out of it by extracting any required information within Autocad itself.

Thank you.

I fact there is already a product by Autodesk called Quantity takeoff which is made to serve exactly what iam looking for. but still its is about collaboration with people in the market, I dont know anybody who uses it.and i am talking of leading companies and consultants.

Autodesk Revit is such a robust product which does a bunch of stuff. at first look itself people should migrate to Revit form Autocad in the construction industry.but still it is going to be a very very slow transition.

There are many Products that do many things, But iam requesting for these LISPS what i think will help to break up a drawing and make the best out of it by extracting any required information within Autocad itself.

I've been using Civil 3D since Land Desktop went away (2009?), and it has a built-in QTO engine, which supports the adding of pay items to all sorts of entities, in addition to the pavement thicknesses, concrete sidewalk depths, and sod, etc for corridor assemblies.

The only thing that is new per-se, is your request to replicate such functionality in LISP, for your specific (perhaps regional?) requirements only... Something typically coded by the one requesting such a specific need, and not others whom will never work under that 'standard' themselves.

Cheers

[Edit] - Separately, what is a Revit? :twisted:

Well a Revit is a little guy who beats you up if you take away his AutoCAD ;-)

... It's supposed to hurt; that's why they call it an a$$ whoopin'.

:rofl:

Did you look at DATAEXTRACT may help, the one problem I see is that your drawing must be to rigid standards if you just draw stuff on any layer and Dim it as your suggesting then it will be nightmare to catalouge it correctly, you can do stuff like add up all lines,plines,arcs for a layer and return answers there is plenty of examples if you search here.

You need to post a dwg & some images of what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks for the reply Bigal. Thanks for the advice let me search the forums and see what i can learn out of what i find.and will post the proceedings.

iam a noob to LISP's.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

SuryAcad,

If all you want to do is add dimension's try this:

(defun c:dimsum ( / i s x )
   (if (setq s
           (ssget
              '(   (0 . "DIMENSION")
                   (-4 . "<OR")
                       (70 . 000)
                       (70 . 001)
                       (70 . 032)
                       (70 . 033)
                       (70 . 128)
                       (70 . 129)
                       (70 . 160)
                       (70 . 161)
                   (-4 . "OR>")
               )
           )
       )
       (progn
           (setq x 0.0)
           (repeat (setq i (sslength s))
               (setq x (+ x (cdr (assoc 42 (entget (ssname s (setq i (1- i))))))))
           )
           (princ (strcat "\nTotal of " (itoa (sslength s)) " Dimensions: " (rtos x)))
       )
   )
   (princ)
)