Constraints-Motion-Driven tools

bjenk8100

Hello,

I ran into my first major issue with Inventor. I have tried to upload an assembly file but CADTUTOR will not let me. Anyway, I attached a drop box link to access the file for a good Samaritan to give a helping hand. My problem probably is not very difficult but I definitely am missing something big. I went through lots of tutorials and it just aint helping. I want to make a vice mechanism for fun. I made a box with a thread, a screw/bolt and a handle/lever inside a brace. I did all sorts of mating and something just wont work. I want my lever and brace to rotate 360 deg along with the screw. I tried all sorts of mates and it just aint working. After mates I applied a motion constraint to the handle and brace and then went to some of their mates and right clicked a mate and went to drive. The only thing it will do is move linearly. I have done same procedure with other types of objects that worked fine. If I make a cylinder and tangent mate to a top edge of a box I can get it to roll at least. In conclusion, If someone can give me some help to get handle, brace and screw/bolt to rotate like they do in the real world I would be very grateful. I attached my drop box link for the assembly file below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pahem22iq00t56/Assembly%20Vice%202.iam

Thanks,

Brian

In Inventor (or SolidWorks, or Creo) an assembly file is nothing more than a list of local hyperlinks the location of the part files and a record of assembly instructions. An assembly without parts (*.ipt or *.sldprt) files is useless.

Put it all in a folder, right click on the folder name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

Did you happen to note the size of that *.iam file compared to the combined size of your *.ipt files?

I thought about that. I was not sure if that was still the case in inventor. I guess that means if I edit a part it automatically edits the part in the assembly. Anyway, I am still trying to rotate this stuff. I watched something where they were saying it is real important to put a plane somewhere to rotate around. I threw all the files in a zipped folder if anyone wants to give it a shot. Older is called assembly vice 2

Assembly Vice 2.zip

What is the correct tap drill size for a 1 1/2-6 UNC thread?

If you have a 1 1/2-6 threaded rod and try inserting it into a Ø1 1/2 hole, explain the behavior you would expect to see between the two parts.

Tap Drill Size.PNG

Your assembly appears to be missing some parts?

Where is the grounded part?

A screw converts rotational motion to translational (straight line) motion.

I only see a Rotation constraint, not Rotation-Translation constraint?

I thought you were suppose to use same thread sizes regardless of the reality of it. They still mate through each other? Well I wanted to get the rotation to rotation to work first. My problem is I cant get things to rotate they just fly away from each other

You are supposed to use the same thread size. But you used the wrong tap-drill size for the hole. There will be no material to cut the threads - the screw will simply slide through the hole. This perhaps the most embarrassing mistake a design engineer can make. The people out on the shop floor will never let you forget this one.

If you had used the Hole command in Inventor (or SolidWorks, or Creo...) the Hole feature would have given you the correct tap drill size for the specified thread.

Open the attached assembly.

Expand the Handle Shaft (if not already expanded).

Right click on the constraint I named Drive This and select Drive as shown.

Click the Play (or Reverse-Play) button.

Drive This.zip

Drive This.png

I didnt even get to that part. I created a few things to see how easy rotate and the simulation would be. I was not able to rotate and thought I was missing something. Shouldnt I be able to rotate the handle alone without the other parts even there. I tried this. I learned not. Thanks for the help. Threads are usually one of the toughest aspects of 3d software. I would never use the softwares technology to do a thread if I wanted it manufactured. You dont either according to your 101 tutorial. I got good at it in solidworks making screws and bolts. I am unfamiliar with connecting it to another part. I will research tap drill methodology and engineering.

If you went to Environments>Dynamic Simulation and added a Screw Joint you could operate the mechanism manually, but that is a different ball-game.