Line in the 3D solid

Hrcko

Hi!

I have one line on the surface of the solid. I do not need this line, but I can't select it for deletion. How to select this line?

Thank you for the help! :)

Snap_2014.08.16_17h12m31s_001_.png

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hrcko

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sorry. Mea culpa!

The line in the question was not only the line. It was the discontinuity in the surface which can be seen after multiple magnification.

Snap_2014.08.17_16h31m52s_001.png

I thank to all trying to help me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have (again) the problem with lines I don't need. This time the surface is continuous. One line (short one) is the consequence of moving of one surface, and the other of 3D mirroring + SOLID-UNION.

The command Clean (SOLIDEDIT) did not help.

Snap_2014.08.25_001.png

Snap_2014.08.25_002.png

The lines in question are marked with arrows.

Have you given any thought as to why you are experiencing these types of problems in the first place?

Can you attach a copy of the drawing?

I am amateur when AutoCAD is in question. My 3D experience is rudimentary. When I worked in the shipyard, classic drawing methods (pencil, eraser...) have been my choice. This, what I am doing now, is the way to spend the time without staring in TV set.

Thank you a lot for your time and help. Did you explode my part?

You might want to check out some of the tutorials here at CADTutor and over at another wbesite called mycadsite.com. You should also find JD Mather's website and run through his tutorials as well. I think he posted to this thread previously.

No, I did not explode your part as there was no need to.

I went back and exploded your part. It consisted of 20 separate regions. Why? The part only really consists of two distinct rectangular profiles. I'd suggest more basic practice before continuing with what you are doing otherwise you'll introduce a lot of errors in your 3D model that could come back to haunt you later on.

Bottom line. There is no need to have 20 separate regions for a simple part like this. Don't make extra work for yourself.

Edited by ReMark

I'd suggest more basic practice before continuing with what you are doing otherwise you'll introduce a lot of errors in your 3D model that could come back to haunt you later on.

Yes, this is really necessary. It is better to spend the time reading tutorials than wondering what I did wrong.

Thank you again for the help.

Yes, here is the drawing.

Let's start over and see how to do this part correctly.

Step 1 Create Rectangle and Extrude it.

Attach this file here.

Unit is meter. This is the drawing for ship model. I increased the size of the ship 20 times to avoid small parts. Now, the ship is 8 m long.

Check of your -dwgunits indicates mm units. The thin section is about half the thickness of a sheet of paper.

I would model 1:1 scale - full size, real world.

Hi, DJ Mather!

I adjusted my DWGUNITS to "real world size" :oops: :oops:

[ATTACH]50548[/ATTACH]

Also, I have good news for all members of the forum: I just bought the book "Inside AutoCAD 2000" written by Bill Burchard, David Pitzer and others. That means less trivial questions. The book is pretty old, but I expect to find many answers in it. I expect that the principles are the same now and 15 years ago. Are they?

Why would you buy a book about AutoCAD 2000 when your profile says you are using AutoCAD 2014? A great many things are different between the two versions especially when it comes to 3D.

Why would you buy a book about AutoCAD 2000 when your profile says you are using AutoCAD 2014? A great many things are different between the two versions especially when it comes to 3D.
It was the only one on sale.