Exporting part intelligence

mjncad

OK, the Inventor noob is back with a question or two that I came up empty searching for as I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

As I'm working on the model truck's axle, I came to the point where it was time to work on the hub, backing plate, brake drum, planetary gear hub, and thrust plate cover. As all these parts are heavily intertwined and have so many holes, I decided to work on them as a multi-solid part.

However; now I think it's time to split them into separate parts for efficient 3D printing. I can easily do this using the 'Make Part' command; but I notice that all the intelligence (e.g. parametric geometry, etc) disappears with the resulting parts. The best way to describe this is as if AutoCAD's PURGE command was used on a file to wipe it clean of extraneous data.

Is there a way to export the intelligence of a part using another command I'm unaware of? Or is Inventor's workflow meant to be that changes are made in the master (lack of a better term) multi-solid part file and let the changes propagate to the separate children files?

I would have added a screen shot or two; but the add files feature was being crabby as I write this.

Make your changes in the master file.

You can add additional features in the derived component if there is some reason not to do it at the master file level.