Multiple polygons need to be ONE shapefile

SMP

Hello Cadders.

I have a conundrum. Right now we have a third party process that requires ALL polygons in a shapefile to be one shape, or connected somehow. Now, i know i can have as many polygons as i want when i export out of Civil, but i need them all to be one entity if that makes sense?

Currently we export as normal, then we give it to our resident ARC Gis Operator and they will do something in that software to make all the separate little polygons one complete entity. There are no lines joining them or anything they are just one thing. I am sure there is a proper word for the process i just don't know what it is.

I am sure where you can see this is not a good workflow. :ouch:

Anyone know how to do this in Civil? There has to be a way to do it. It seems like such a common thing to do.

Thanks for your time.

One way is with Map3D and FDO. Export to shp as you normally would. Then in a blank dwg data connect to that with FDO, then run the FDO buffer command " _mapfdobuffercreate" set a distance of .0000001 and check merge all. That will create a new SDF file with one feature in it. Now just convert that SDF to SHP format. Use bulk copy or FDO2FDO for that.

Thanks guys.

Murph: i will give that go here shortly.

Emigrato: i have attached an example of what i am working with in this reply. The shape itself has two polygons and they need to stay as they are, but when i import them into the third party web based app they need to be "one entity"

If you know what i mean?

I think murphs reply may be the answer i am looking for. I will have to try it out at lunch time as i am to swamped with billable work atm.

More to follow. Thanks again.

TESTSHP.zip

use command "mapmpedit", select a polygon, choose "_add" on the command line and select the other polygons.

u will now have a single polygon with all objects. but you polygons that you added still remain as a single polygons too (duplicated). you will need to delete these.