How to rotate in 3D NOT along an existing axis?

Alex1

Hey! I was trying to make a dodecahedron, but I ran into a problem. I have a net started of six equal pentagons, five surrounding a middle, now I need to fold the outside five up into a kind of bowl shape to get my dodecahedron going.

I'd love to be able to rotate each face along the line of the middle face it touches, but Autocad doesn't allow me to do this except if that line happens to lie along an existing axis (X, Y, or Z). I hope I'm explaining my problem well enough. How can I rotate each face the way I want to?

Also, I realize there is probably a much better way to do this, but I'd like to know the solution to this particular problem in case I need to know it in the future. Thanks!

Try using the Dynamic UCS feature.

I think I may have found an easy way to construct a dodecahedron.

Edited by ReMark

3D_Dodecahedron1.jpg

Four views of my dodecahedron. Each face is a single region that I created (on layer "0") then changed its color.

Edited by ReMark

Thank you for the help! I see you all the time on this site, I really appreciate every post of yours I see, as I'm sure everyone does here. The way you suggested with Dynamic UCS seems to work, I just need a little practice with it I think, but I'm a little confused about your method. The only thing I understand is that you created each of the twelve faces on the same layer... How did you fold that layer up over itself 12 times? I think I might be misunderstanding you :unsure:

You're entirely welcomed.

Yes, I'm here too often for the likes of some.

I created a five sided polygon on layer "0". I then turned it into a region using the REGION command. Since it was created on layer "0" I can override the layer color and make it any color I want. That is how I got my twelve colors.

I'll provide you with an image in just a moment of the steps I took. Hold on. I'll be back.8)

3D_Dodecahedron2.jpg

Does this make it any clearer?

The first polygon was rotated 63.43 degrees then I did a polar array. After that it was merely copy, rotate, move and add the top and bottom faces. Done.

Sorry, but I have to go out into the plant for a while. I'll check back upon my return. Good luck.