removing objects from a selection set

willb

With a right to left crossing window I've selected many items, but there is one tubular object that needed to be deselected and a line drawn on the tube that i'll need for a reference snap point in order to do a move op later. The problem seen was that I could SHIFT click to deselect the tube, (selection cycling is ON) , when I hover over the line that is on the tube the selection cycling icon appears but as soon as i hold down the shift key it disappears and won't let me select the line that needs to be deselected.

Sure I managed to work around this by locking the layer of the line and set it's visibility to on but still, that shift click for deselection is a problem. Is this is bug I discovered for 2015?

Did you actually try to deselect the object when the icon disappeared, or did you just assume it wouldn't work? Which are you working in, 3D or 2D? BTW, you are shown as using 2014, not 2015.

Hi neo, yes I did try to select even though the icon disappeared, the selection cycling dialogue never appeared and no matter how many times I tried to select that line which was on a different layer it would allow it self to be selected. I was working in 3D. I updated to 2015 only the other day, have aptly updated what i'm using, thanks for mentioning this.

Thanks for the extra info, willb. BTW, the icon disappears even in 2D whenever I Shift to deselect. I don't know why the deselection is not working in your case.

• 2 weeks later...

After you select your objects by doing a RIGHT-to-LEFT window, to un-select any of those items, before you , type R, , then pick the items that you want to REMOVE from that group. If you want to add any additional items to that group, you type A, , then select the items that you want to ADD to the group.

There is no limit as to how many times you can go back and forth, adding & removing items. Do this as much as you need, to grab the right items/objects.

Just remember that you have to type the "A" or the "R" BEFORE you hit the ENTER key.

Hope this helps.