swapping blocks already inserted and positioned

willb

After inserting a block into a drawing and placing carefully, then realising the part is the wrong length, is it not possible to select the block part and switch it for another without having to go through the entire placement procedure again?

I thought this should be as easy as selecting the part, and changing it in the Properties palette, which at the top says "Block Reference", it has a drop down menu which I expected i'd be able to switch to selecting another block, but there's nothing in that menu. Surely there must be a way to do this?

That is not built in function, without seeing what you are trying to do, it sounds more as though you need to look at using dynamic blocks, which you can make to either stretch or contain different components that you can swap the visibility states to show different parts.

feargt, interesting, thanks for the reply. Would this work if the block replacement that's required is not actually in the drawing, in other words the block needs to be selected from a palette?

Hi Steve, you'd be spot on with your suggestion. Dynamically resizable blocks with visibility states would be ideal and save a great deal of space in my blocks palette. An awful lot of work to get there though, I may eventually have to resort to this method, I was just hoping there's be a short cut.

Yes they can be more work to setup, at least until you get used to it, but if it is something you use often it would save a lot of time in the future.

Hi Willb,

no, the block would need to be inserted in the drawing once to be able to select it. But the code could be modified to select a block outside of the drawing.

Steven-G's suggestion is probably the way to go in future though. Allows much more flexibility.

Yes they can be more work to setup, at least until you get used to it, but if it is something you use often it would save a lot of time in the future.

Yep indeed dynamic block would solve it if block is preset properly with all the same insertion point i did and still working on some and maybe i have it already made if not if user sends one sample i can built it on my spare time and post it and use it myself in the future.

Keep us posted.

Best

R