2d Block into isometric drawing

shedpack

G'day, I've only been using CAD for a week so please bear with me. I have drawn a series of 2d drawing of "L" shaped brackets and other 2 d drawings. I have downloaded some drawings of screws and bolts and used these in the drawings without issue. I have now drawn an "L" shaped bracket in isometric but now want to show the screws and bolts in isometric as well. Is this possible using the downloaded 2d objects? Otherwise how do you do it please?

The easiest way would be draw in 3D and then use an isometric view, full Autocad will then let you convert that into a 2D drawing apparentely, but it's not possible going from 2D to isometric

And welcome to CADTutor

The blocks would have had to been drawn in isometric view for you to use them in your 2D isometric. Apparently they weren't so you can't.

Yes, full AutoCAD can extract 2D views from a 3D model as Steven has pointed out. There are probably five ways to do it but only two or three are are popular enough to be used often.

why do ppl draw in 2D?

If all you do is plans it's fine, but as soon as you start drawing objects from different views it increases the possibility of errors and wastes a lot of time

Most schematics, like piping and instrumentation, are drawn in 2D. Process flow diagrams are drawn in 2D. Block diagrams are drawn in 2D. Many site plans and plot plans are drawn in 2D.

All of our electrical schematics are drawn in 2D however our control cabinet layouts over the past couple of years have been done mainly in 3D.

Because you have to start somewhere?

Is all your work done in 3D?

if it's a 3D object then yes, it saves time and i need to see how things fit in the real world.

IMHO, if (like the OP) you are learning, may as well learn 3D.

+ it's more fun. i still do schematics & wiring diagrams in 2D but they are very tedious.

if it's a 3D object then yes, it saves time and i need to see how things fit in the real world.

IMHO, if (like the OP) you are learning, may as well learn 3D.

+ it's more fun. i still do schematics & wiring diagrams in 2D but they are very tedious.

We do not need to see how they fit we draw them so they fit.

We do plan elevation and side views to be able to see them simply by using construction lines.

It never failed yet and we do put out BOM according to dimensions.

We do have lisps that has been around from the net and quite a bunch of home made one not counting dynamic blocks to help us finalize the project faster.

If we where to redo all of them in 3D to use them it would take us 15 years to make them because of the quantity on hand.

Not only that it would increase the file size dramatically and at one point cad would simply run out of resources to even do a simple change in line lenght.

Therefore cad for 3D for now is not an option but SW is probably a better choice hum but i would think again before doing the switch since after the years it really does not take long to draw the items and get everything ready in a week for production in a jiffy.

R

We do not need to see how they fit we draw them so they fit.

We do plan elevation and side views to be able to see them simply by using construction lines.

It never failed yet and we do put out BOM according to dimensions.

We do have lisps that has been around from the net and quite a bunch of home made one not counting dynamic blocks to help us finalize the project faster.

If we where to redo all of them in 3D to use them it would take us 15 years to make them because of the quantity on hand.

Not only that it would increase the file size dramatically and at one point cad would simply run out of resources to even do a simple change in line lenght.

Therefore cad for 3D for now is not an option but SW is probably a better choice hum but i would think again before doing the switch since after the years it really does not take long to draw the items and get everything ready in a week for production in a jiffy.

R

This job requirement sums it up quite nicely i reckon:

SolidWorks – Daily use of software. Intermediate level design tasks including basic modelling, detailing of parts, technical drawing, assembly construction, converting 2D legacy data, etc. This will lead to a much heavier involvement with the design team upon proving ability to learn and apply machine building design skills.

DraftSight/AutoCAD - Basic knowledge of software in order to handle, interpret and covert 2D legacy data

I feel old.