retreive all draw commands after opening a 3D model drawing

kvn001

I have created a 3D model in AutoCAD yesterday but today I forget all my steps.

How I can retrieve all my draw commands after opening the drawing.

Thanks.

I think you would have to have enabled the creation of a log file in the Open and Save portion of the Options dialog box.

Look at the system variable LOGFILEMODE. The default is "Off" (setting = "0"). It would have to be reset to "1" to be "On".

Yes. LOGFILEMOD is 1 but in the command window I did not see the draw command: LINE,...EXTRUDE,..

the DBLIST also is not help.

I have made a 3 D model with a lot of command (about 100) to het to my final objects.

I forget to copy all these draw commands and paste in other word document files. Now I want to see what commands I have been used to draw this model.

I can't tell you why that is. Until you figure it out grab a pencil and paper and start writing down the commands. I'd suggest using the Action Recorder to create a macro that could be played back but all your commands would have to be entered at the command line meaning no access to dialog boxes.

Good time to practice.

Attach your dwg file here and I can tell you the best way to construct.

(BTW - Autodesk Inventor records a history of everything you do and the order in which you do it.)

Yes. LOGFILEMOD is 1 but in the command window I did not see the draw command: LINE,...EXTRUDE,..

the DBLIST also is not help.

I have made a 3 D model with a lot of command (about 100) to het to my final objects.

I forget to copy all these draw commands and paste in other word document files. Now I want to see what commands I have been used to draw this model.

When did you enable LOGFILEMODE? Was it at the start of your drawing or did you just do it today? I did a quick test and it worked for me.

If logfilemode was already set to 1 yesterday then the file will be saved on your hard drive, type logfilename and copy the resulting location into windows explorer, you should be able to find a file with the name of your drawing you did yesterday with an extension of .log, just double click on that, it is just a text file but it will show just about everything that you typed yesterday whilst doing the drawing.

If you have just changed logfilemode to 1 today then you are out of luck

Good time to practice.

Attach your dwg file here and I can tell you the best way to construct.

(BTW - Autodesk Inventor records a history of everything you do and the order in which you do it.)

Where Can I See AutoCAD Command .

19019 Die Set No 1-5.dwg

FYI...every time you open, edit, then save your drawing a new logfile will be created. Each file will have the name of the drawing, the date, time and file size. See example below:

Logfilemode.JPG

Note that the name of the drawing in this case happens to be test of logfilemode.

"Where Can I See AutoCAD Command ."

The commands will be seen in the log file. If you want to see what commands you just used while still in an active drawing hit the F2 key to bring up the text window. You can copy and paste from that window if you wanted to but I wouldn't recommend it as the process would be too cumbersome.

Thanks for your reply. But the question is very clear :" How we can "retrieve", "get back" "see" all the Draw commands we made yesterday when we create the models". I can draw the models means that I have seen all my commands as I draw my model with it.

My answers were just as clear but you somehow think that all the commands you used PRIOR to enabling LOGFILEMODE are somehow going to magically appear. They won't. And to see any commands you've entered today, after enabling LOGFILEMODE, you'll first have to save your drawing then open the logfile as per the instructions previously posted by steveng.

You cannot go back in time and retrieve information that was not created/saved in the first place.

Edited by ReMark

My answers were just as clear but you somehow think that all the commands you used PRIOR to enabling LOGFILEMODE are somehow going to magically appear. They won't. And to see any commands you've entered today, after enabling LOGFILEMODE you'll first have to save your drawing then open the logfile as per the instructions previously posted by steveng.

You cannot go back in time and retrieve information that was not created/saved in the first place.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command:

Command:

Command: _-view Enter an option

[?/Delete/Orthographic/Restore/Save/sEttings/Window]: _top Regenerating model.

Command:

Command:

Command: _circle Specify center point for circle or [3P/2P/Ttr (tan tan

radius)]:

Specify radius of circle or [Diameter]: 12

Command:

Command:

Command: _offset

Current settings: Erase source=No Layer=Source OFFSETGAPTYPE=0

Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] : 12

Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] :

Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] :

Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] : *Cancel*

Command: extrude

Current wire frame density: ISOLINES=4, Closed profiles creation mode = Solid

Select objects to extrude or [MOde]: Specify opposite corner: 2 found

Select objects to extrude or [MOde]:

Specify height of extrusion or [Direction/Path/Taper angle/Expression]

: 12

Command: subtract

Select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract from ..

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

Select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract ..

Select objects: 1 found

Hi. The above is the copy from the AutoCAD command window when I create the model 5 minutes ago with the LODFILEMODE is 1 . But after I save it, I cannot get back all my draw command as I pasted above.

TEST-1.dwg

1. We don't need a copy of your drawing.

2. To see ALL the commands used in the drawing session, prior to saving it, you have to find and open the logfile for your drawing. Note: there can be more than one logfile as I stated, and demonstrated, in a previous post (see post #9). Do you know where the logfile is located or don't you (see post #7)? It's a simple question.

Well looky what we have here...

test-1 logfile.JPG

Seems to be a logfile for a drawing called TEST-1. I wonder who's drawing that is? I'm sure it isn't mine.

This is the path to that file.

C:\Users\mycomputernamehere\appdata\local\autodesk\autocad 2015\r20.0\enu\

Yes it always is in the temp folder but no files there .bak , .log, .sv$ .ac$ has the DRAW COMMAND.

You told me so many things but none of them is help. It just go further and further. Please answer the question.

Thanks any way.

1. No, the logfile is NOT in the temp folder. And the files .bak, .sv$ or .ac$ will NOT contain the information you are seeking so don't bother looking for them.

2. You continue to refuse to look in the location that is listed under Options > Files > Log File Location.

3. There are only two locations users can view commands that were used. 1) Text window. 2) Log file. Take your pick. However, there is only one file that is written to your hard drive for you if and only if you have enabled LOGFILEMODE. That's the logfile. The text window is not written to your hard drive nor will it be saved with your drawing. Edit, save then close your drawing. Open it. Look at the text window. Do you see any commands from the previous editing session? No. Why? Because they are not saved.

4. Please consider my suggestion of using a pencil and paper. It is foolproof.

Edited by ReMark

Oh ye of little faith. Not sure why I went through all this trouble but here are two files for you. The first is your drawing. I added my name to it so you wouldn't get it mixed up with the original. I made some edits to it and saved it.

TEST-1-1[ReMark].dwg

The second is the logfile documenting all the changes I made to your drawing. I had to add the .txt file extension so it could be uploaded here.

TEST-1-1_1_1_4605.log.txt

I think I've gone above and beyond. A beer would be nice. Thanks.

Yes it always is in the temp folder but no files there .bak , .log, .sv$ .ac$ has the DRAW COMMAND.

You told me so many things but none of them is help. It just go further and further. Please answer the question.

Thanks any way.

.BAK files (backup files) are typically saved in the same folder as the drawing itself.

.SV$ files (automatic save files) will be saved to the folder specified by the TEMP environment variable in the operating system. This can be overridden via Options > Files > Automatic Save File Location.

.AC$ files (temporary files) "contain information that is used by various AutoCAD commands, such as UNDO, and do not contain any drawing data that can be recovered. They should only exist during an AutoCAD session but may be left behind if AutoCAD crashes or is abnormally terminated."

.LOG files - Be careful as there are two types of log files associated with AutoCAD. The first are those that relate to the installation of an Autodesk product. Most of these will have either the word "install" or "setup" in the file name. Find them by typing %TEMP% in the Windows Explorer address field. The second are drawing log files which we have discussed at length throughout this thread. Both steveng and I have either told you or shown you where these files can be found.

Got all that?

I forgot one other log file. It's called the plot.log. The name should be self explanatory.

Edited by ReMark