Create a revit file for one system from existing file

thbaiju

Hi all,

Could you please advise me an easy method for having a separate file for a particular system.

e.g.: I had a Revit mechanical file contains hvac piping, ducting and steam piping for boilers, now I need only the steam system in a separate file.

Could you please assist..?

rgds,

john

I would highly advise against this. It gains you no benefit by breaking out systems in separate files at all. Keep everything in the same file... unless you have a reason why you want to separate them?

Thanks for stating the obvious, tz. Why else would the OP be asking if there wasn't a reason for it?

Hmmm, that steam piping seems to be getting in the way of everything, let's put it in another model so I don't have to keep trying to get around it.

I'm guessing he needs to send out the steam only. For some reason does not want to include anything outside of that, but I can't imagine why.

thbaiju, I don't have an easy answer for separating out the steam system. I would make a copy of your model and start deleting the unnecessary stuff using tab and filter selecting. If you are on 2014 or later, a new tool was added to prevent selecting pinned objects. Try pinning the steam system before you start deleting so that you don't delete some of it by accident. If you do delete something you need, you can copy/paste from the original project.

Thanks for stating the obvious, tz. Why else would the OP be asking if there wasn't a reason for it?
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, did you? Sometimes I really wonder if you give any thought at all when you are condescending. I was prompting the OP to give me his/her reason because it will be an unorthodox one.

Hmmm, that steam piping seems to be getting in the way of everything, let's put it in another model so I don't have to keep trying to get around it. I'm guessing he needs to send out the steam only. For some reason does not want to include anything outside of that, but I can't imagine why.
Getting in the way is not a valid reason. You can easily control the model if things are "getting in the way". Although, it's true one doesn't have to follow the more straight forward and easier method. See below.

thbaiju, I don't have an easy answer for separating out the steam system.
I have two VERY easy answers for separating out the steam system. #1 WORKSETS, #2 FILTERS. Done and done.

Until the O.P. comes back with his/her reason why they want to separate a system that will and should connect with gas and hot water, then there shouldn't be a reason to separate it out. As far as model clean up for a third party... just send the file and let them separate it out.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, did you? Sometimes I really wonder if you give any thought at all when you are condescending. I was prompting the OP to give me his/her reason because it will be an unorthodox one.

I could have said the same thing about your "prompting".

I have two VERY easy answers for separating out the steam system. #1 WORKSETS, #2 FILTERS. Done and done.

Worksets would have required some forethought on the part of the OP. I don't think he would be asking the question if that were the case.

I already mentioned filters. Thanks for verifying that.

I already mentioned filters. Thanks for verifying that.
Furthermore, I didn't verify anything. You mentioned Selection Filter, not View Filter, which is what I was referring to. Unless you meant View Filter as well.