Twin GPU config

Cubes CDS

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum....

I have been having numerous graphics problems since the hardware accelerator was introduced for ACAD 2015.

Currently I have a Nvidia GTX680 GPU running my Product Design Suite 2015 and I realise that this card is more of a consumer gaming card but have had no problems until now.

Therefore I am considering buying the new Quadro K2200 and was wondering if it would be possible to use both cards and if there would be any advantages / disadvantages in doing so.

Also I have 3 monitors plugged into my GTX, how would I use both cards (if possible) and all 3 monitors......icon_eek.gif

I'm not really tech savvy but hoping someone else has had experience with dual GPU / dual monitor set-ups.

Thanks

What kinds of graphics problems are you encountering?

When doing 3D work in ACAD I am getting frequent fatal errors and crashes, lines staying visible after deleting them, selection inaccuracies and visibility problems.

I have contacted Autodesk support and they said tweak the accelerator settings etc which has not worked. Basically they said my GPU is not a recommended card for ACAD, yet it works ok with Inventor, Revit, 3DS Max.

Hence the reason for considering a Quadro. It is frustrating since I have made this Product Design Suite investment and know I have to upgrade my GPU which is a fairly new one.

Thanks

Maybe that card is just going out. What drivers have you tried? If this started after a driver update, try rolling back to the older driver.

As for your Original question, this is well covered on lots of computer forums. Tom's Hardware is a good place to start.

Basically you can't just run any two cards on any motherboard.

Requirements

In order to use multiple graphics cards, there is underlying hardware that is required by both AMD and NVIDIA in order to run their graphic cards solutions. AMD's graphic solution is branded CrossFire while the NVIDIA solution is named SLI. For each of these solutions, a compatible motherboard with the necessary PCI-Express graphics slots is needed. Without one of these motherboards, having multiple cards is not an option.

Once the consumer has a compatible motherboard, there are also restrictions upon what graphics cards can be used together. Originally, NVIDIA required that two identical cards from the same manufacturer, model type and BIOS were needed to function in SLI. They have eased these requirements since then but the same graphics chip model is still required. As for ATI, a special CrossFire master graphics board is required to connect to a second card. This card typically costs more than a non-master board. This card can be used with almost any previous generate ATI graphics board, but performance improvements will vary depending upon the second or slave board.

You may as well just get your Card fixed/updated or buy a new one.

Thank you for your advise.

I will try the earlier drivers as you mentioned.

It does seem to get a bit technical regarding using 2 different GPU's, if the above does not work I will buy the Quadro and sell the GTX 680.

Thanks again

Recent hardware tests have shown that you gain nothing with a Quadro card in AutoCAD or minimal gain for the huge price difference. Now if you use Inventor, Alias or some other high end product you might gain something but not with AutoCAD. There is a thread here about gaming vs professional cards. The results surprised many of us.

In fact I just ordered and spec'ed a new PC with a GTX645 (core i7 based) and it blows my old Xeon, Quadro system out of the water.

I agree in that your card might just be failing. Best of luck.

Edit: Found the link:

Now this was for Acad 2013 and other software but I think it is still relevant.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493.html

Basically in Acad a quadro is barely better (or the same) than a GTX for double (or more) money in 2D performance while the GTX clearly beats the quadro in 3D performance.

In Inventor the GTX wins again. In the rendering test the GTX beats the quadro as well.

Anyway, after this and my own experience I am no longer a believer in the quadro for normal CAD work.

Edited by f700es

F700es

This is very interesting, thank you.

Since Autodesk introduced the hardware accelerator tools in ACAD 2015 my non pro card is now not performing and I suspect this has been introduced on purpose so to push users to buy Quadro's which is what both Autodesk & Nvidia want.

I do want to keep the GTX and it works great with everything else I use, Inventor, 3ds max, Revit, Sketchup etc.

I will try the old drivers first and see.......

Thanks again.

F700es

This is very interesting, thank you.

Since Autodesk introduced the hardware accelerator tools in ACAD 2015 my non pro card is now not performing and I suspect this has been introduced on purpose so to push users to buy Quadro's which is what both Autodesk & Nvidia want.

I do want to keep the GTX and it works great with everything else I use, Inventor, 3ds max, Revit, Sketchup etc.

I will try the old drivers first and see.......

Thanks again.

Best of luck Cubes :)

Sean

Hi Sean,

My workstation spec is more or less the same as yours except the GPU and motherboard, so I can only assume it is the drivers or Nividia settings.:unsure:

Not had chance to investigate yet, will be the weekend.

Thanks

In fact I just ordered and spec'ed a new PC with a GTX645 (core i7 based) and it blows my old Xeon, Quadro system out of the water.

Curious to know your Xeon-system's specs, as that's what I'm using now?

Cheers

Well it is a 4 year old Xeon based system but it did have 4 gb of ECC ram with the quadro card. Most certainly not a budget build. IIRC it was over $3K when new. It would still make a great server as is. Lenovo ThinkStation D20 was the model.

Well it is a 4 year old Xeon based system but it did have 4 gb of ECC ram with the quadro card. Most certainly not a budget build. IIRC it was over $3K when new. It would still make a great server as is. Lenovo ThinkStation D20 was the model.

*Tips hat* No worries; you see what I'm working with.

Cheers