average time to complete a drawing

bennyboy86

Hi all,

just a curiosity question.

how long does it take from when you begin a drawing to complete a drawing?

i seem to average about 1.8 - 3.5 hrs.....depending on difficulty and amount of redraws....

just looking to see if on par with people or not...

thanks guys

You will need to provide an example of the type of drawing you're talking about. I have worked on some drawings that took a few hours, while others took a few days or a week or more. Totally depends on what you're drawing.

for example just finished 3x4 levels residential building, so reinforced concrete slabs and steel roof, roughly 70m x 20m, so had level layout plan, then reo plans and the usual sections and detail pages for each level.... that one did it in 1.8hrs per drawing was 54 drawings. so 1 building took me about 4 days.

There are just too many variables to make a fair comparison. For me, if I had all the necessary information and was doing two HVAC floor plans from scratch and both systems were about the same complexity, the shape of the building could double the amount of time spent on one or the other. Some people have well established standards which helps speed things up. A good template, the use of automation (code), a good block library, and good drawing practices can all speed things up. If you have to create a lot of things on the fly, layers, blocks, text styles, etc. those will all slow down the process. Office environment (people, phone calls, interuptions, distractions, available support, etc.) can affect speed drastically. Then there are the person's abilities. Knowledge of the program, geometry, the nature of the stuff they are drawing can all have a bearing on speed.

Oh, look a squirrel...

A few hours is really fast.

It could take me a year.

Doing spacial coordination work, reviewing all submittals and cuts, building all the associated parts, panel boards, light fixtures and connecting it all with conduit down to 1" trade size takes me time. We also layout all hangers so they can be installed before the floors get poured. And they also have no hits with the other trades.

If my boss has another electrician help with the layout, and sketch out conduit runs on paper, that saves me a lot of time.

After all that there is the AsBuilts. They will have all the wires, devices, circnuit numbers and notes from the site work all the way up to the roof. Everything is done in 3D with all information attached to the objects with property set definitions.

The spacial coordination on a decent size job could take three weeks or three months. It could be a simple academic building or a hospital.

I might not be the fastest but it could never be done in hours

It takes me anywhere from one week to six months to complete the drawings for an original design 2200 sq ft two story 4 bdrm 2 car gar w/bsmt house. It all depends on how stoned the surveyor crew was, and how drunk or crazy the Architect/Designer team is. Oh, yeah. Owner involvement in the process takes twice as long, and twice the money.

There really is no way to fairly compare your time to others.

Maybe the best you can hope for is to see how you compare to your own time over a period of time.

I've done a fair amount of comparisons as I was setting up my standards and methods and have written a blog post about it. Maybe you'll find it helpful if you're looking to make some improvements/changes to your workflow.

http://cadtempo.blogspot.com/2012/01/dr-who-and-cad-manager-part-2.html