Whats wrong with this drawing???

DaveS777

Hi, I'm back... been plowing thru trying to get this all done...

I've attached two drawing files... When I export these out into a STL format - free MiniMagics 3.0 states they have (two) shell errors...

When I request AutoCad 2015 to run a solid check - it states they are fine...

I did drag & drop these from one drawiing into a new drawing (via to open windows); so that I could see if they were all converted into One Solid; or if they were still separate; and stuff... Plus, easily got me a couple of part copies.

Don't know if that had anything to do with it; but previously all my parts as I've been working on this - have all been declared 'error free' when in the stl format.

Do any of you see what I've done wrong? Or how to fix?? The two drawings - one is all still various solids; and the other is combined. The '36' has a copy rotated at 36 degrees... Thanks very much for any help...

D

Various.dwg

ALIGNMENT Tool 36 test.dwg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveS777

• JD Mather

• ReMark

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only opened the Various.dwg

Your logic confuses me! You have multiple solid bodies occupying the same space (interference). How can this happen in the real world?

Did you intend to Union the bodies?

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Various_JD.dwg

3 Faces.PNG

Quality Check.PNG

Interferring Bodies.PNG

JD - thanks for looking... Sorry about the slight confusion. One of the files I was originally going to attach - was just slightly a Hair over 1000kb - so I was not allowed. The '36' I did attach - did not have the various solids Unioned, or joined. I am attaching one which does...

I am attaching two files - so that anyone is very free to play around with them; in trying to figure out the 'shell' error...

This is a part of an alignment tool - which will assist in proper degree alignment; and spacing - on a shaft - for a different part.

All previous parts have checked out fine per AutoCad and MiniMagics... I have no idea why these files when exported into a STL format - come up with two shell errors. (2 per part.) (Could it be from me dragging and dropping this grouping of parts from one drawing into a new open AutoCad drawing... I did that for a couple of reasons... one was to see if that changed it and made them be Unioned... (Cause Hey, you lose all the material assignments...))

In the future I will be obtaining a 3d printer- so that I can print the various parts. I don't know what a 'shell' is; and AutoCad 2015 doesn't seem to find any problems with the parts... and when I WireFrame the view - I don't see any problems or extraneous junk. So basic question remains - anyone know why the 'shell' error; what it is; and how do I correct?? Thanks...

D

ALIGNMENT Tool 36 test1.dwg

JD - what program are you using to do those checks?? Is that AutoCad? If so, where is that accessed? I've found the 'Clean' & 'Check' functions in Auto - but I don't see any of those visuals like you posted.... And are the images you posted saying the parts are fine?? Or are the red lines saying it is bad??

...are the images you posted saying the parts are fine?

What do terms like "Known Issues" and "Modeling Uncertainty" suggest to you?

Did you try the files I attached?

JD - with the images you posted - I had not realized that you had also uploaded modified versions of my two dwg files.

The Various_JD / I see no changes; and it has stl errors same as before. The 36 test_JD drawing looks the same in AutoCad; but is really screwed up in stl format; And AutoCad states it has some Boolean erros when exporting... and it is not recognizable as even barely the same file in stl; and still has errors.

And since I asked what program you were using; etc. to take a look at the two drawings - I have NO idea what "known issues" and "Modeling Uncertainty" mean... from your sarcasm - I take it to suggest that you were identifying problem areas of the two drawings. Which is why I asked about the program, and the visuals, and the following: "And are the images you posted saying the parts are fine?? Or are the red lines saying it is bad??"

I already know the parts have some sort of problem. MiniMagics states the same. Previous parts have not had a problem. And I have been unable to get AutoCad to identify a problem... So, at this point I am still looking for some assistance; not sarcasm. Oh well.

Hi Dave, are you trying to join all of these solids together? In the "various.dwg" I see about 16 solid bodies. If you want one object you can Union them together. Now you might run into issues depending on how some of them were modeled but trying this on a copy of your drawing will prevent you from losing what you have done so far.

If you attach a file here with your solids unioned as desired - I can check that file, but I have no way of knowing what geometry you want unioned together.

Also - set facetres = 10 before stlout. (I am not sure if viewres has any effect on stl, but increase that to at least 2000 just to be sure).

Thanks ReMark for the 2015 Inventor product id... I don't have that, and don't have the funds for it; and then I would have to be trying to learn that as well...

F700 - yes, the various solids are all going to be joined or 'unioned' together. The 'alignment 36 test 1' is all unioned together. I orignally meant to post it as such; but errored; so 'align...36 test' was essentially the same as 'various'; and unfortunately not joined or unioned. I uploaded the 'align 36 test 1' a bit later...

My problem is ALL of my previous parts have been fine. So, I don't know how I messed this one up. Course, my 'standard' for being fine is free 'minimagics 3.0'... It has always stated the stl files are ok... now all of a sudden - these have 'errors'; and AutoCad 2015 doesn't seem to find any... Course, "CHECK" states they are ok; but 'clean' - I'm not sure if it is actually working, or sees some error and isn't cleaning; while not telling me that it sees an error...

At this point, I am thinking that I probably just need to carefully redraw everything, so as to attempt to remove the error...

I've kept the solids separate; because that allowed me to easily change the degree angle. Those two circular objects at the top right side; are an alignment node with bolt fastener holes; allowing me to fit this into a part; and offset another part the prescribed number of degrees on a shaft; while also being a set clearance distance (.04") from another specific part. Having everything not be joined or unioned; allowed me to easily make several copies and change the degree settings or angular distance spacing of the two alignment nodes... So when they (various degree offsets) were all complete, (unioned) I could just export them into stl format. Which is what I started doing; and ran into Mini Magic declaring errors...

So suggestions from you, ReMark, etc. are very welcome. I still have the video which Nestly did ((a while back on a different post) and it has helped; reminded me how to do something) a couple of times; and I am so very thankful for that!

JD - 'alignment tool 36 test 1' above - posted in reply #4 is all unioned together as one... The two files (3 actually, because of the first 36 being posted not joined) - all the solids in each file are to be added together (no subtract) in each file. The 'Various' was just an example of the various solids - before they were unioned; and the '36' was supposed to be an example of them After they were Unioned or joined together... So, you could test the 'alignment tool 36 test 1' which is all Unioned together and see what you find out - but I'm not sure I would know how to correct it - even if you found out what was wrong...

For example: "Also - set facetres = 10 before stlout." I can look that up, (F1) and try to figure out what it means (which I have not yet done); but at this point - I don't know what those are, or what they refer to... I've just been drawing; and some of other components are significantly larger and more complex (as far as I am concerned or understand) - and they all checked out fine; and exported to stl with no declared errors... So I am at a loss as to what I DID - to cause this particular drawing (alignment tool) to have problems.... And I'm trying to learn what I DID - so that I don't do it again...

Thank you very much for the visual. From how I drew this (my processes)... This is (Probably??) the problem? Creating spaces where they are not wanted; so Mini Magics declares errors?? (Creating a 'space' by putting a third solid up against two circular solids that one thinks are in alignment - when they are not...)

The reason for the above - is because I don't know how to use 'align' at all. I've read about it (F1) several times, and tried to understand it.... but have not been able.

Plus, you can't change the UCS to a circular object (as I understand it) - only on flat faces. So, I know how to temporarily change the plane and UCS to a flat surface; and draw from that; but I don't know how to do the same on a circular or round surface.

Consequently, I have been creating 'points' off the snap center of drawn objects; looking at properties for the x,y,z, cords; and then moving an object to the desired position from those stated cordinates. I have found (because of rounding) to check the positioning twice; since it might be 'close' after the first move - but not 'right on'.

However, the reason the piece you showed me was off - (zoomed in) - is because I 'only' had properties reflecting 4 or 5 decimals. Now, I have changed that to the max of 8; however 8 is not 'accurate' either - since I am still OFF - when zooming in to see if it now matches. (I am aware AutoCad is going way out in decimals)

This is obviously the slow boat to China method on how to deal with this; and it is ineffective. And it is because I don't know how to use the 'align' tool... Maybe someone could point me to a good direction or video on using that... Cause my method of aligning various (Circular & Helical shaped) objects - obviously leaves much to be desired.

From what I've already drawn, I could probably start fresh; (and using the org or 2d circles) - redo this section and actually have it all centered or aligned to itself. But it would definitely be good to have some sort of grasp on the 'align' toolset...

D

you can't really draw by 'eye-balling' stuff in AutoCAD - snaps are the way to go, either snapping to existing geometry points or by using construction lines.

Personally, i don't ever remember using Align.

I would most likely start over with this dwg.

Re: The row of cylinders that you show. Did you use a circular array to place them or did you just eyeball each placement?

I've used the ALIGN command in both my 2D and 3D work and find it quite useful. The key to using the command is to closely follow the prompts AutoCAD is giving you.

I use align frequently to assemble parts.

But looking at your design - I would wonder how it would be manufactured.

Do you have a picture of a similar (real) part?

ReMark - I used Node points at specfic degrees for the Center points of each cylinder. This is because it wouldn't let me extrude just a more general shape; kept giving me an error - so I finally decided that I could just get almost the same thing with the cylinders...