Need help with pipe size?? (Autocad 2014 Mechanica)

Sengna

I've got two 1.5" steel pipe one run horizontal and i one run vertical and i would like to connect them with 90 degree steel elbow, my question is that what is the right size of elbow to use in the real world and to draw on CAD? when i drew those two pipes, i drew them 1.5" Dia not the nominal size (1.900" O.D). Appreciate any suggestion. Thanks

You use either a short or long radius elbow to connect the two pipes. Depends on what the application is.

I want to try with short raduis 90 degree elbow. can i use 1.5" elbow?

I will suggest to draw real size of pipes to avoid problem in future.

Look at any pipe fitting supplier catalog and decide what kind of connection you prefer.

It will differ for threaded connection, butt weld or socket weld (assume you are talking about steel)

Short or long radius elbow decide about flow of fluid.

I will suggest to draw real size of pipes to avoid problem in future.

Look at any pipe fitting supplier catalog and decide what kind of connection you prefer.

It will differ for threaded connection, butt weld or socket weld (assume you are talking about steel)

Short or long radius elbow decide about flow of fluid.

so 1.5" steel pipe elbow i should draw in true O.D that would be 1.900" then. one question, for 1.5" steel pipe use 1.5" elbow, 2" pipe use 2" elowbow........is that correct?

I've got two 1.5" steel pipe one run horizontal and i one run vertical and i would like to connect them with 90 degree steel elbow, my question is that what is the right size of elbow to use in the real world and to draw on CAD? when i drew those two pipes, i drew them 1.5" Dia not the nominal size (1.900" O.D). Appreciate any suggestion. Thanks

The nominal pipe size is 1.5", the actual OD is 1.9. If you are drawing the pipes line by line then use nominal pipe sizes. If you have a program that draws them for you then it will draw the OD for you automatically. Most place will show 2" and smaller as single line pipe, some use 4" and smaller.

A short radius elbow center line radius will be the nominal pipe diameter X 1, a long radius elbow will be 1.5 X nom. pipe dia.

. If you have a program that draws them for you then it will draw the OD for you automatically. .

What kind of program that does that? i only have 2014 Autocad Mechanical.

ELBOW TO ELBOW.jpg

Did i draw this correctly? I want to show 90 degree elbow going down and one elbow below connect to 1.5" pipe that will run to the right? Please ignore the pink center line, i am still figure out the correct radius.

Edited by Sengna

Stop. First, what type of elbow are you drawing? Is it a welded fitting, threaded or socket? And second, is this a short radius or long radius elbow? There are dimensional differences.

One other question, are all your drawings going to be done in 2D?

Re: image above. We normally do not show the dashed lines for the portion of the bottom elbow that would be obscured. I don't know if others do.

Edited by ReMark

Stop. First, what type of elbow are you drawing? Is it a welded fitting, threaded or socket? And second, is this a short radius or long radius elbow? There are dimensional differences.

One other question, are all your drawings going to be done in 2D?

Re: image above. We normally do not show the dashed lines for the portion of the bottom elbow that would be obscured. I don't know if others do.

-This are threaded fitting

-They are short radius 1.5 "elbows (A= 1.5")

-Yes, this will be in 2D, i imagine 3D would be fun but i am not there yet. Might be fun to try this in inventor.

Note: I kind of concern about showing to many lines on the bottom, It gets complicated.

Side Note: you guys know any site the offering free 2D pipe fitting and elbows autocad block for download?

Edited by Sengna
CLEARITY